Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Meade 80/400 adventure scope the best budget eyepices

Lilu

Hello

I just bought Meade 80/400 adventure scope and I am new to the subject of telescopes and eyepices for it. But as far as I know the eyepices that this scope is equipped with  are absolutely terrible... So please if you can suggest the best budget eyepices for this scope I will be thankful. Its for general planet observation and maybe  some nebulas and clusters.

Edited by Lilu
Mistake

Since you're probably on a tight budget, I'd recommend some decent plossls.  32mm, 20mm, and 12mm to start with.  Even the inexpensive ones are reportedly fairly decent.  I'd also probably get a decent 2x shorty barlow as well.

My 80mm short tube came with 20mm RK, 12.5mm K, and 9mm K eyepieces, where K means Kellner and RK means Reverse Kellner.  The Kellners were surprisingly good, the RK was less good, but not bad, so give the included eyepieces a chance before tossing them.

Be aware that due to extreme false color thanks to the scope's fast achromat, you'll never get super sharp images, especially at higher powers.  A minus-violet or light yellow filter can help tame some of this false color at the expense of giving everything a yellow cast.

• Thanks 1

I agree with Louis suggestions. The plossls branded "Revelation" here in the UK are pretty good as well as being low cost.

The Meade Adventurescope 80 is the same scope as the Skywatcher ST80 so any references to that you find on the web will also apply to the Meade version.

Welcome to the forum by the way :smiley:

• Thanks 1

Ya i also like that scope but for what it's made for.

It's not a high power scope it has lots false colour on the bright stuff including the moon and planets but it wasn't made for that.

It's a portable light weight scope  wide wide fov. Great for those large extended milky way objects. 

Plossls or super plossls are fine with that scope I wouldn't buy anything more expensive for it. Being only 400mm fl u may need a 2 and 3x Barlow but after about 100x power images get soft

Joejaguar 

Edited by joe aguiar
  • Thanks 1

Guys I bought barlow x2 and celestron 20mm I think plossyl  but nothing is written on it just celestron 20mm I have also what was in package H6 and H18.... The rest as it was in package. My problem is that with barlow x2 I cannot get focus at any of the eyepices that Ive got but with out barlow I can focus on every of the eyepieces. Thank you for all your help much appreciated :)

Try the barlow without the diagonal.  I have a feeling the focuser can't be racked in far enough to reach focus with it in the diagonal.  Alternatively, put the diagonal in the barlow (which is inserted in the focuser) for a 3x or more magnification factor.  That combination should reach focus.

If the lens elements unscrew from the end of the barlow tube, see if they can be threaded onto the bottom of the eyepieces where filters would normally be threaded.  That should yield about 1.6x magnification.

One more experiment, if the above worked, try threading the barlow lens element onto the end of the diagonal that goes in the focuser.  That should yield about 2x or a bit more.

• Like 1