Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SkyWatcher ASCOM drivers - no North/South!

BrendanC

6 minutes ago, BrendanC said:

The problem then would be that I could only use the scope with the laptop - I wouldn't have that option to use the handset any more, unless I updated the firmware beforehand.

There really must be a way for the standard ASCOM drivers to allow multi-directional manual slewing with such a bog-standard setup as Windows 10 and Skywatcher mount! This is hardly exotic equipment.

If you can do better write your own 🙂    

You can use the handset BUT just for directional movements BUT why would you want to ?

2 hours ago, stash_old said:

You can use the handset BUT just for directional movements BUT why would you want to ?

I'd quite like to have the option of using the handset on its own so that I can do this quickly and easily, with less kit and complexity. If I just have the handset as a relay, then I'll always have to use the computer with all the cables, power requirements and fiddlesomenessness that involves.

So, just played around with the altitude settings, still the same result.

I think I'll wait and see what Skywatcher say. I'm kind of hoping I'll be able to send them some log files and they'll find something in there.

In the meantime there's always the Synscan app/mobile ASCOM drivers option. But I'd dearly love at least to have that option of unhooking the computer and 'going mobile' with a neat, simple system. Apart from anything, I'd just like this to work properly!

OK, major breakthrough.

Last night, on a hunch, I wondered whether the Android Synscan app connected via USB.

It does. I had no idea. I thought it was purely wifi.

One firmware update later, converting the handheld controller to the relay, I've got a fully-functioning scope, running off my tablet.

Next thing: I fired up Stellarium on the tablet. I select an object, just playing around with it. I notice there's a 'Goto' icon. I tap it - and the scope responds! Turns out there's a small server included with the Synscan app, which Stellarium recognises. Total surprise.

Next thing: I realise that I can do these split-screen, so Stellarium on one side, Synscan on the other.

Next thing: It all works through my hub too, so I just plug one USB into the tablet and I can then run the Synscan app to control the mount, and DSLR Controller to control the camera.

This all happened within about 15 minutes last night.

It's opened new possibilities. Not only can I just control everything with a nice little Android device, I can also consider, say, running Synscan on my phone, and DSLR Controller on the tablet. Or, I can dig out my old phone with the broken screen that still works, install everything on that, attach it to the mount and run everything via TeamViewer on the other devices, so that I've effectively turned it all into a wireless solution.

The only drawback is that DSLR Controller doesn't record video on my EOS1000D camera, but there's another that might. And apparently DSLR Controller doesn't work on the latest Android because the developer's stopped developing it, so that might become a problem in future. But for now, it works.

I still kind of wish the ASCOM drivers worked properly for me, but I'm genuinely thrilled to have stumbled across this solution. I haven't used it 'in the field' yet and I'm sure there will be teething troubles, but I have a strong feeling it's going to work. If nothing else, I'm just swapping out the clunky handheld controller with a cool Android app, and that's a major step forward.

Edited by BrendanC