NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Flats - Gerd Neumann Aurora V Lacerta Light Panels

Spaced Out

Hi all

I am looking at some options for creating flat frames, I know you can make DIY stuff but I need an easy life so I’ve just decided to buy something designed for the purpose.

I have spent some time looking at options, the two products I am considering are....

https://www.gerdneumann.net/english/astrofotografie-parts-astrophotography/aurora-flatfield-panels/uebersicht-aurora-flatfield-panels-overview/aurora-flatfield-leuchtfolie-d220mm-mit-12v-inverter.html

&

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p11096_Lacerta-LED-Flatfield-Box-with-240-mm-usable-Diameter---with-Dimmer.html

I’ve been looking for user reviews of these two products online.

What I’ve read so far suggests the aurora panels are good in terms of producing the image but they have rubbish flimsy wiring that fails a lot. That doesn’t appeal to me tbh.

The lacerta panel is a bit of a mystery, I’ve not been able to find very much from actual users of the product.

So my question is....... Does anyone own either of these products and would they like to comment on their experience using them (particularly the Lacerta panel).

Thanks in advance for any info/advice you can offer.

Yes, I have a GN panel.   Agree the wires look perilously  fragile and the connectors are some weird plastic block affair which look like you could not buy a spare if broken........   but saying that it has performed well.

One thing I would say is that be careful with sizing.....the circular panels have a black band around the edge and the illuminated section does not reach the inside edge of this.    Some of the smaller panels actually have a square section that illuminates within the circumference ......  and its a fair bit smaller  than the radius.    Just be wary of what the adverts say.

Sean.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Craney said:

Yes, I have a GN panel.   Agree the wires look perilously  fragile and the connectors are some weird plastic block affair which look like you could not buy a spare if broken........   but saying that it has performed well.

One thing I would say is that be careful with sizing.....the circular panels have a black band around the edge and the illuminated section does not reach the inside edge of this.    Some of the smaller panels actually have a square section that illuminates within the circumference ......  and its a fair bit smaller  than the radius.    Just be wary of what the adverts say.

Sean.

Thanks for this, you've definitely confirmed what I've read elsewhere about the aurora panels good performance but also the dodgy wiring. I am really not keen on the flimsy wiring tbh so I have turned my attention towards the Lacerta flatfield box. Done some more digging but I could only find one person talking about using this product, it sounded positive tho.

So my question is....... Does anyone here use the Lacerta flatfield box ? If so, how is it ? I'm very close to pressing the "buy it" button but some positive reviews at this stage would help me ! 

• Like 1

Hi, have only used one make of flatfield panel and that is the lacerta 240mm od version with dimmer switch, it comes with a white case on the outside to slip over the telescope aperture so must be the older version? it works fine, this is what I use it on, it has a lip which goes over the scope and I put on a piece of high density foam so I could grab hold of it easier. this is what I use it on 8" newt and smaller scopes but with a strap for security. all the best Tony. some pics albeit not great.

IMG_20190123_003431 (Medium).jpg

IMG_20190123_003621 (Medium).jpg

IMG_20180824_043941 (Medium).jpg

• Like 1

The Aurora panels are amongst the worst pieces of trash I've had the misfotune to buy. The wires break at either or both ends in no time. The only reason I've had three of them fail on me is that two of them were bought by other people for me to use here on their behalf. Once was enough for me!

The adustable brightness Geoptik panels, on the other hand, have proved robust and the variable brightness does make life easier.

Olly

• Like 4

• 4 months later...

Hi

How are you getting on with the Lacerta panel? I have a Gert 160mm for my ES102 and it works great, but now I need a new one for my Edge HD 8" and the Gerd one is expensive. The Lacerta is much cheaper and they have a dimmer (needed for my 294MC Pro). 

Cheers

Andy

Hi, no issues with the panel, working well. dimmer very sensitive and should be ok for the cmos cams. put some foam around it to protect it, and it makes it easier to grab, or put on a handle or strap if you like?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, AndyThilo said:

Hi

How are you getting on with the Lacerta panel? I have a Gert 160mm for my ES102 and it works great, but now I need a new one for my Edge HD 8" and the Gerd one is expensive. The Lacerta is much cheaper and they have a dimmer (needed for my 294MC Pro). 

Cheers

Andy

The Lacerta panel is great and the dimmer works well. Really impressed with the build quality too, it's quite solid with no flaky wiring.

• Like 1

One question regarding dimming the Lacerta:

Does this require something extra besides the panel ?

Recently got a Lacerta panel, with one selling point being that it was dimmable.  It says 'dimmable' on the panel, but for the life of me I can't see any way of regulating it - there's no buttons or anything on the panel box, and I can find nothing on the supplied power cable with cigar plug connector either.

3 hours ago, Erling G-P said:

One question regarding dimming the Lacerta:

Does this require something extra besides the panel ?

Recently got a Lacerta panel, with one selling point being that it was dimmable.  It says 'dimmable' on the panel, but for the life of me I can't see any way of regulating it - there's no buttons or anything on the panel box, and I can find nothing on the supplied power cable with cigar plug connector either.

Here's some pics of mine, it came with a little dimmer dial.

IMG_2672.JPG

IMG_2673.JPG

IMG_2674.JPG

IMG_2675.JPG

IMG_2678.JPG

IMG_2679.JPG

IMG_2683.JPG

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AndyThilo said:

Is the box metal or plastic? Looks better made than the Gerd one

Hard to tell what it is tbh ! It's maybe a sort of fibre board, almost wood like, nicely made tho, feels like a quality item.

• Like 1

Thanks Spaced Out; it seems the version I got from TS is without the dimmer:

"The FFB20plus is also available in a dimmable version from 0% to 100%, then the exposure time for the FLAT can be extended almost at will".

They have a separate dimmer available for €42.90, in the form of a small box with a dial, but looking a bit different from yours.

They also claim the following: "Unlike the EL film, the LEDs do not flicker with the line frequency, allowing significantly shorter exposure times like 1/500 seconds".   On my lowest ISO setting and auto exposure, shutter speed is 1/250 sec, so wonder if I need it after all.