NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

IC 2177 - The Seagull

Adreneline

My first attempt at this target. Not the easiest because surrounding trees and buildings really limit the time you can get on target. Furthermore IC 2177 never really clears the light pollution zone from a neighbouring town.

All that aside this is 17 x 120s of Ha and 10 x 120s of OIII, calibrated and stacked in APP, processed in PI and Levels applied in PS with a small amount of noise reduction.

Taken with a Canon 200mm lens with an ASI1600MM-Pro at gain 139/offset 50, a ZWO-EFW and ZWO-EAF; the whole thing controlled from an ASIair, unguided.

1155191231_Seagull-h4h6oo.thumb.png.8d39ba6c3d589a49b23dda4662992be7.png

Comments and criticism welcome.

Thanks for looking.

Adrian

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, carastro said:

Remarkable for unguided.  Well done. 

Unfortunately the Oiii component is not showing up, maybe it's because the exposures were not long enough, I don't really know much about CMOS cameras.

Carole 

Thanks Carole.

The Oiii subs are very feint and I was reluctant to over stretch them. I could probably have gone to 180s subs but with the light pollution I’m not sure I would have gained anything. I’ll try and grab some more Oiii next time it’s clear and moonless - hopefully in my lifetime!

The CEM25-EC is great for unguided use. I do a careful PA and a two-star alignment with the ASIair and then plate solve the target. Plate solving with ASIair is amazing compared with SGPro. The ASIair typically takes only 4 or 5 seconds to plate solve and sync with Sky Safari on the iPad and then it’s a case of centre the target and off you go!

Adrian

• Like 1