Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Moon - National Maritime Museum

Stu

The lovely Mrs Stu treated me to a very enjoyable day out in London today, taking us to the National Maritime Museum to see two exhibitions; The Moon, and also the Astronomy Photographer of the year display.

We did these in the morning, and after lunch went to the Cutty Sark.

I thoroughly enjoyed the day I must say. The Moon exhibition was very well put together, lots of interesting displays and explanations of various things like tides, eclipses etc, all of which I knew but still found engaging and worth spending time looking at. I'm pleased to say Suzie also found it interesting because it was not just focused on technology and science, but also culture and art; there were paintings and photos to enjoy too.

I particularly enjoyed the large projected display of the lunar phases and high powered views of the shadows on the terminator changing, very enjoyable. The final picture before you leave was a NASA print of the famous Earthrise from Apollo 8, a wonderful and highly emotive piece.

The Astronomy Photographer of the year exhibition was also well worth looking around, some amazing shots, all displayed in light boxes which showed them off very well. There were quite a few different categories, so plenty of variation in the images. I believe I spotted one from Barry Wilson which was the only name I recognised, apart from Damian Peach.

There is plenty more to do at the museum that we didn't even look at, so I can recommend a visit. We travelled in to Waterloo from Hampton Court after dropping Lorna at school, then took the Jubilee line and DLR to get there, all quite easy. It's an interesting part of London to visit anyway and of course the Greenwich Observatory is nearby too.

Highly recommended. I guess we spent around an hour in each, and probably could have spent longer. The only annoyance was finding out after booking that we could get 2 for 1 offers on both when travelling in by train, so if you go make sure you sort a voucher out ahead of time.

https://www.rmg.co.uk/whats-on/moon-exhibition

https://www.rmg.co.uk/whats-on/astronomy-photographer-year/exhibition

20191205_105407.jpg

20191205_110011.jpg

20191205_184550.jpg

20191205_183330.jpg

20191205_184034.jpg

1020829.jpg

20191205_183511.jpg

1020818.jpg

1020847.jpg

• Like 6

A very nice treat from your good lady Stu. Exactly tailor made to suit your interests too.
The wife and visit London for a culture week every year, and always take advantage of the two for one
offers that hold our interests.
Nice one matey, now you make sure Mrs Stu. receives a nice Xmas prezzie 😀.
Ron.

• Like 1

Stu,

myself and Mrs bug are doing exactly the same we are off to London tomorrow to see a show then Sunday down to Maritime museum to both these exhibitions

thanks the tip about National Rail 2for1, just printed off my vouchers :)

• Like 1