NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

List of constellations for total beginner

Hi folks, sorry if this is a daft question, I am a complete novice.

I am at the start of my astro journey (I have a couple of beginner books and will be going along to my local astro club as soon as we have a clear night).

Is there a list of constellations I should familiarise myself with to get started?

I have deliberately not bought any equipment yet so am viewing purely by eye. The view from my garden is not too bad to the south/east but is heavily light polluted on the west side. I can easily make out orion, taurus, gemini,  auriga, cassiopeia, ursa major and (I think) cygnus. Is there a "basic" list of, say, 20 or so of the 88 constellations which are "must knows"?

Thanks

Dave    

Well u wont see all 88 from one location half are in the southern part,  if your in lp zone as u say the dims ones will be washed out so that's probably another half u wont see.

So 20 ti 30 probably be it.

I would recommend a planisphere and maybe night watch book. Night watch has 20 pages of maps with chats and constellations.  Plus it has lots other info about most thing u may need to know later.

The planisphere will let you dial to any time hr month and season to see what constellations are up. Then use the maps in the book to look for specific items. Both go hand hand. 

Some prefer using a phone but the older way u dont need wifi or data or wordy about wasting your battery or if your phone does.

Joejaguar 

• Like 1

Sounds like you've made a good start. Viewing by eye and binoculars with a good star map or planetarium app is the best way to start. You'll see most of the constellations as the year rotates around anyway even if your view is restricted. I'd add ursa minor and the pole star to that list.  Also work through the zodiacal constellations. You've got some already, but at least that way you'll always be able to make out some anytime of the year. It also impresses people if you say there's Capricorn, Aquarius, Aries, Taurus, Virgo, Gemini etc when they pipe up "oh I'm an Arian" or whatever "I've never seen my constellation".

Also it's good to be able to name a few prominent stars in the constellations - Vega, Betelgeuse, Deneb etc. And to learn some of the prominent nebulae within constellations and how to find them with binoculars, although some are visible by eye.

Something I like to do on a starry night when I'm not using the scope, or even when I am, is to stand facing north and slowly rotate all the way round - north through west, south, east - identifying constellations, stars and objects as I do so. Keeps it fresh in my mind that way.     

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Greyhoundfan said:

That seems interesting. I have no experience in using these but if you decide to buy it can you please let us know if it's worth it.

1 minute ago, Raph-in-the-sky said:

That seems interesting. I have no experience in using these but if you decide to buy it can you please let us know if it's worth it.

I'm dubious to be honest as the reviews are very mixed. Thanks for your previous very helpful post btw.

• Like 1

It's hands and feet I have a problem with cold wise. Core body temperature is just a matter of wearing enough. But you can only put on so many pairs of socks. 

Edited by Ouroboros
  • Like 1

I highly recommend  "Night Watch" by Terence Dickinson ! This book is great for beginners but it will stay with you forever if your really interested in amateur astronomy . It's easy to understand and has constellations for all seasons with popular objects to see even some with binoculars . You won't regret this book !

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nightwatch-Practical-Guide-Viewing-Universe/dp/155407147X/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?keywords=night+watch+by+terence+dickinson&qid=1575471498&s=clothing&sr=8-1-fkmr1

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...