NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Dilema - please help

Andy274

Hi guys,

i have an Atik 383L+ mono with a 7nm Baader Ha & 8.5nm OIII filters

they attach to either a 72mm WO apo or a 110mm starwave apo

Im considering chopping them in for the Altair 294 OSC with the tri-band filter (due to moderately LP'd skies - bortle 6 according to the clear skies app)

I normally image nebulae, but am looking to start capturing some galaxies - will the switch from the mono CCD & separate filters to the OSC with a combined filter work, or am i wasting my time?

I dont want to degrade any of my images or increase the capture time needed.  Its the older CCD vs newer CMOS debate & i apologise for that but im utterly lost as to whats best. 

Cheers

Andy

Edited by Andy274
mistake

Join the club.....   I think they call it analysis paralysis.

Good luck with this quest.   I think the blurring factor is that everybody has a salient point with respect to a particular variable, but...... in the end (on balance... when all totted up )  it does not categorically  favour one camera  over the other !!!

EDIT:   err... I think it's about right now..... !!!

Edited by Craney

If you value speed of capture - just keep mono camera, it will be faster than alternative OSC (faster in terms of reaching set signal to noise ratio - less imaging time for same results).

On the other hand if you prefer "ease of operation" - then switch to OSC. However, do keep in mind that OSC + Triband filters is not going to produce as good results as mono + narrowband on nebulae.

• Like 1

I'd be inclined to keep the 383+. Mono is faster for acquiring data, plus NB is FAR better with a mono camera, If needed you can add a LPF to the wheel for your Luminance, while keeping the RGB filters.

I think that would be sacrilege to get rid of your mono camera and get a colour camera to replace it.  Just get yourself a set of LRGB filters.  I assume you have a filterwheel, if not get one of those too.

I have no personal experience of CMIS cameras but I have read a few threads where people who have colour CMOS cameras have had a lot of problems with them.

Carole 

Edited by carastro