NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What do I need to buy

Hi everyone , I have the Celestron powerseeker 114EQ now I have replaced the missing 4mm eyepiece i also have a 20mm eyepiece and a Barlow eyepiece which is x3

I am planning on getting , moon filter , a red and a blue filter as one of the slow motion cables is missing I will get a motor for tracking , am I better off getting a more powerful Barlow  with some more eyepieces if yes what ones ? 

Kind regards Neil

Forget the blue and red filter those r planetary filter which do very little to the  views.

I'm thinking that your eps are the hygens one by the numbers u said. The worst is 0.965 inch. If that's the case first step is get a 0.965 to 1.25 adptor. Then like 3 good eps like plossls or super  plossls. 

If u got the 1.25 focuser  that great  but 1.25 hygens they r a tad better then the 0.965 one but barely.  U need to change those also asap b4 anything else you do.

If u can send a pic we can confirm. 

Joejaguar 

hi neil also I like tracking but cant you get get another slow motion control for now? and save some money.

I just looked up that model just to be 100% sure and a lot times I see since iam in Canada we called it slighty different when it comes to models etc compared to UK or euro area.

Iam sure those are hygens type eps however they are at least the 1,25" size which is good at least that part. I would first upgrade all eps and barlow.

like the guy up above also said get a decent quality 2x barlow, get again plossl or super plossls. They sell for about $20 for a generic model to $40 for more quality name brands and even more. You can even find these on the used markets too. with better scopes they give plossl as standard BUT for the lower end models they cant do that and give the most basic accessiors. so you will get better views going to these eps rather then spending it filters etc for now.

also if your scope has the 5x24 finderscope I think you may have to upgrade that asap as well, the moon is probally the only thing you will be able to find with that kind of finder. maybe get a decent red dot finderscope. I am not sure if you already started to look for other things besides the moon but if you have or tried then u will see what I am talking about.

last if your scope is the long version 4.5" inch reflector then that s a good scope itself BUT if its on the eq1 you will notice it has lots vibrations and shacks a lot, it really should have been on the eq2 mount not eq1. Again the maker did this to save money the scope is good but gave a cheaper mount eps finderscope to give it the big box store or interent store at a cheaper cost

I didn't write this to put you down or say your scope is bad etc but here are some good points of it and not so good points but if you change some those cheaper acessiors then it becomes a better scope.

I sent you a link to your PM I hope that helps you sorry if this felt like iam being mean but iam not.

joejaguar

Edited by joe aguiar

Hi guys thanks  I was looking at an upgrade scope with red dot so will put it on the list to do

As for the slow motion cables they only do a kit of 2 for £20 the motor is only £42 so not much more as my wife is using this as well a motor will make it easier for her, most of the time I use the scope i will be some where with no mains power the Celestron motor is battery so is a plus 

We are both starting out on this hobby so didn't want to spend loads out just yet on top of the range stuff once we get into it more then we can do a major upgrade

I hear you neil and you don't have to spend a lot tho BUT saying that its sometimes cost a lot more to upgrade everything then just buy on with all thos things added. the scope sometimes costs like 40 to 50 more but you dant have to upgrade the mount eps finderscope etc.

if the dealer only sells a pair of slow motion controls then try the used market astro buy and sell UK or flo the dealer on here. Even if you cant find a single control u may be able to get the pair and u have an extra one.

the only thing that concerns me tho ( and if anyone agree with me or not say so) being its a long version 4.5" tube on a eq1) putting the clock drive may just vibrate the mount more or atleast continuously and viewing at high power may not be the greatest or if you viewing the planets you want to see the fine detail and you may not see that then. maybe lower power to the medium power? try it without the drive first see how much it vibrates?

I got like 6 pairs of those controls maybe 2 pairs are extra that I probally don't need and I keep as extra in case one break or gets lost I would send you one for free but the shipping from Canada will be a lot then u just buying a pair there.

joejaguar

Edited by joe aguiar

27 minutes ago, Neil H said:

didn't want to spend loads out just yet

I think that's exactly the right approach, @Neil H.

Apart from a necessary collimation tool such as a Cheshire eyepiece to collimate your scope, my advice is not to buy anything for your scope or mount until you and your wife have put them through their paces. In that way, you'll have a much better idea of where you want to go and how you want to get there. In other words, if you haven't used your scope that much you're unlikely to make a sensible and informed decision.

While out in the field, I'd be paying attention to the supplied eyepieces, the x3 Barlow, finderscope and mount.

For example, is the mount stable? Does it hold magnification well or does it start to shake/wobble when you step beyond a reasonable 80x? How aboout that x3 Barlow? Regardless of Celestron's department-toy-store marketing tactic of the scope being able to reach x675, in conjunction with the 4mm it's effectively useless, but what about in the 20mm? Is the finderscope reasonably easy to align, is the image bright enough to star hop and follow a star atlas/chart?  And so on.

If you're not sure about your own evaluation, or require a second/third opinion, why not get along to an astro-club in your area and ask for some help and useful advice. Most folk would be only too happy to help.

A 4.5” Newtonian on a solid mount and with two or three decent eyepieces is a really fantastic performer. I'm sure the scope is a cracking bit of kit, but my gut feeling tells me its accessories are going to let you down and be very frustrating to work with.

• Like 1

I would focus on getting a few decent eyepieces (probably plossls). Those will stay with you when you upgrade your scope (which you will probably do sooner than later if you get addicted like most of us).

Colour filters are mostly useless and if you upgrade the scope you will probably get a decent finder anyway.

Do not neglect second hand market. Prices are often close to 60-70% of the value new and astronomers tend to be really cautious with their equipment!

• Like 1