Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dark sky's Bristol

Draven

Hi there!

I'm also Bristol based and have been researching nearby dark sky spots. I haven't been to any of these yet but so far I have found out about:

Wellow which is a few miles South of Bath has public access to a field adjacent to a car park in the village without street lighting. I was planning to drop by tonight if the weather wasn't as rubbish as it is... (Bath Astro Society use it for public observing sessions)

Velvet Bottom near Cheddar (Charterhouse apparently have an observatory nearby)

Bristol Astronomy Society's observatory at Failand - only members can use the site so I'm planning to join up this month.

I'm actively looking for observing buddies so let me know if you would like to try any of these out!

Cheers,

Rob

Edited by robbymain
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, robbymain said:

Hi there!

I'm also Bristol based and have been researching nearby dark sky spots. I haven't been to any of these yet but so far I have found out about:

Wellow which is a few miles South of Bath has public access to a field adjacent to a car park in the village without street lighting. I was planning to drop by tonight if the weather wasn't as rubbish as it is... (Bath Astro Society use it for public observing sessions)

Velvet Bottom near Cheddar (Charterhouse apparently have an observatory nearby)

Bristol Astronomy Society's observatory at Failand - only members can use the site so I'm planning to join up this month.

I'm actively looking for observing buddies so let me know if you would like to try any of these out!

Cheers,

Rob

Need to stay in touch as the skies clear at some point this year, or early next. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Draven said:

good areas for obs and photography in Bristol

If you are towards the north of Bristol, there are some darker areas in the south of the Cotswolds.

8 hours ago, John said:

The Mendip Hills and Exmoor are also good.

I do most of my observing from my back garden though, which is not too bad.

Most of Exmoor is designated as a dark site, and there are several parking spots that are popular for astronomy. I am on the other side of a hill and south of John's location, and I too observe from my garden. I have Bristol Airport to the south of me, and if I can see its glow, then I can consider that evening a washout, except, perhaps, for the Moon.

The important thing is to observe from a location where you feel safe, and out of the direct glow of adjacent lighting.

Geoff

Ok I’m going to Wellow near Bath tonight - Station Road car park (check it out on Google maps)

Never been before so may just take planisphere, my new binocs & a chair/picnic blanket 😃

Forecast is best in bloomin ages, all welcome lol

Edited by robbymain