Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

IC 1805 in NB

Ceph

Couple of weeks ago I got the chance to test my new camera ZWO ASI 1600M pro. So the learning started again as I never had used a mono camera or this type of camera before only DSLR, tricky as everything with this hobby when you starts with something new, but so fun when the work pays off.
At first I was going to get a color CMOS or CCD camera due the weather here but after many comparisons on the net I changed my mind and got a mono instead.

All pictures is with binx2 and 300s. HA x30, OIII x28, SII x20. No darks, flats or bias used.
Taken with Astro Photography tool, Stacked in DSS and processed in Pixinsight.

IC1805-SHAO-2000.thumb.jpg.05604b0606614a780a418d2c5bea0991.jpg

• Like 17

Thanks Alan.

Yes it is huge, if I turned the camera 45 degree (Fish head right bottom) maybe all of the heart would have been in the picture.

Had a little problem with striped background on this one and found it was mainy present on the stacked OIII pic, nothing on HA and just a little on SII if stripes at all, maybe it was a coincidence.
I will get some darks and add them on the OIII just to see if I can get rid of the stripes. I will certainy check if same thing happens next time I gets a chance to take some pictures.

20 minutes ago, Ceph said:

Thanks Alan.

Yes it is huge, if I turned the camera 45 degree (Fish head right bottom) maybe all of the heart would have been in the picture.

Had a little problem with striped background on this one and found it was mainy present on the stacked OIII pic, nothing on HA and just a little on SII if stripes at all, maybe it was a coincidence.
I will get some darks and add them on the OIII just to see if I can get rid of the stripes. I will certainy check if same thing happens next time I gets a chance to take some pictures.

I actually tried it last night, not a good night with a bit of haze, sort of managed the middle bit with no resemblance to your shot at all, back to the drawing board.

Alan

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Laurin Dave said:

Very nice Ceph, if you weren’t aware with this camera it’s best to use matched darks (time, temperature, gain,offset) for both lights and flats.. no bias.  Might sort out the stripes on the low signal subs.. 

Dave

Hi Dave.

Ok no I did not know this, this could very well be the answer. I will get the darks tonight when there is no disturbing daylight around, then I have to learn how to do Dark flats I guess they are called :)
Thanks.

2 hours ago, gorann said:

Very nice Ceph!

Regarding the stripes you mention, have you tried the Canon Banding Reduction in PI (under Script -> Utilities)? It often works great.

Hi Gorann.

I did test the Canon banding script (have been using it now and then with my DSLR Canon 700D, not often though, was worse with my former Canon 750D)
I tested it but I don't think it helped anything. I should have been more clear when meantioning this stripes, they are not horizontal.
I stretched the OIII pic only as the problem was most visible on that one to show what I mean.
Will take some darks and flats and hopefully the problems vanishes or at least becomes less visible.

Oiii-1805-Streched.jpg.8e5c044c02fcd5516930a2325be53545.jpg

It’s also best to do the darks with the camera off the scope, it’s 10mm adapter on, the sensor cap on and facing into a desk to stop any light leaks you might get if it’s in the scope ..  Darkflats are just darks with the same exposure temperature etc as your flats..  obviously if you take the camera off to do them you mess your flats up so I have a library of darks to suit my flats and lights exposures..   they are a year old now and still work well..  

hth 

Dave

• Like 1

Those stripes look like walking noise? are you dithering? Most apparent on the Oiii as the signal is weak and the stretch most extreme ..  the glows on the right are amp glow which properly matched darks will remove 

Edited by Laurin Dave
  • Like 1

Done some darkflats and flats and tested a new stacked image, but the striping is still there. No i didn't do any dithering will do next time. Hopefully there is the problem.

Thanks for all help.

• Like 1