Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

IC1318 Butterfly Nebula

ampleamp

I took this back in August as a 2x1 mosaic. The letterbox final image is due to there being quite a mismatch between the positioning of the two sets of subs and a fair crop was required. On this version I have gone for an SHO palette and although there isn't a great deal going on on the right hand side, I quite like the contrast between the blue O111 and the more golden Ha dominated left side. Located in Cygnus, this nebula is approx 5000LY from Earth 

This is a total of 22x15' Ha, 30x15'O111 and 40x15' S11 (I had to reject a lot of Ha). Processed in Pixinsight.

Thanks for looking

IC1318_SHO.jpg

Edited by ampleamp
spelling
  • Like 10

16 minutes ago, ampleamp said:

I took this back in August as a 2x1 mosaic. The letterbox final image is due to there being quite a mismatch between the positioning of the two sets of subs and a fair crop was required.

Very nice, you could get a great wall print out of that if you can find a company that does custom sizes. 

Do you have dynamic distortion correction or equivalent on pixinsight as per APP? I see some channel misalignment to the bottom of the image. 

Edited by Adam J

Thanks Adam. There is ‘frame adaptation’ as part of the StarAlignment process. I usually have it enabled but since this is off by default I cannot remember if I ticked the box or not. Maybe not this time! Also the O111 wasn’t as well focussed as it could have been. Either or both could be at fault here. 

I have used DSC Labs in Manchester for printing in the past. They have a great selection of options and always a fast turnaround. 

Edited by ampleamp