NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

NEQ6 power connector upgrade to aviation style locking 2 pole

fifeskies

I am (like many others) about to upgrade the supplied power connector on my NEQ6 Pro to something a bit more robust.

A common choice seems to be the 2 pole aviation style locking connector

Is there an accepted polarity convention for the plug/socket 

(ie pin 1 ground pin 2 +ve).

Clearly as long as a standard is maintained throughout (all connectors maintaining the same polarity) , it wont matter a lot.

Just wondered if there was an accepted way round, let me know which you have used.

2pole.jpg

Old_2pole.jpg

Edited by fifeskies

51 minutes ago, fifeskies said:

I am (like many others) about to upgrade the supplied power connector on my NEQ6 Pro to something a bit more robust.

A common choice seems to be the 2 pole aviation style locking connector

Is there an accepted polarity convention for the plug/socket  (ie pin 1 +ve).

Clearly as long as a standard is maintained throughout (all connectors maintaining the same polarity) , it wont matter a lot.

Just wondered if there was an accepted way round, let me know which you have used.

2pole.jpg

Old_2pole.jpg

I did that mod with my old EQ6 Mount... was the best thing I ever did.. 😀 and I could still use the old socket as  a 12v output...

I can’t remember but I think it was Pin 2 for +, but not 100% sure...

C59EC946-09A4-4C06-9275-4D7E6FDE06B6.jpeg

Edited by WanderingEye

4 minutes ago, fifeskies said:

Hi "Wandering eye" 

do you remember what polarity you wired up the new socket

I am not 100% sure, but I think it was pin 2 +, but as long as it matched the power cable you use, it does not really matter...you can put red to pin 1 or 2 as long as the input cable matches...

Edited by WanderingEye

"The problem with standards is there are so many of them."

I looked into this as I will be using aviation connectors throughout but couldn't find anything that would suggest a common convention. I will just choose my own convention and make sure I make up all the leads from power bricks etc to match.

Other than the Eagle im not sure if any standard astro equipment uses these connectors off the shelf, so shouldn't be much in the way of cross compatibility issues.

Looking further into this , it seems there is no standard anywhere

the EQ6R and EQ8 mounts from Skywatcher have power connectors similar , but according to the manuals they adopt opposing polarities.

Worth labelling everything

powerEQ6R.jpg

powerEQ8.jpg

• Confused 1

First, no there is no accepted convention for DIN style connectors. A problem compounded by not knowing if a diagram refers to the plug or socket when showing which pin is wired to what.

Second, the simplest form of polarity protection is a single diode in the +ve feed inside the body of the mount. A diode in the plug is of no use at all!
However, that diode contributes a significant voltage drop to the motors and the electronics. If your power supply is already a bit marginal, this will just exacerbate any problems and maybe introduce new ones. A better solution is to use a p-channel power MOSFET to prevent any damage. Again, this has to be inside the mount. The simplest implementation is this

spacer.png

and for those who want an explanation, see here.

1 hour ago, fifeskies said:

Looking further into this , it seems there is no standard anywhere

the EQ6R and EQ8 mounts from Skywatcher have power connectors similar , but according to the manuals they adopt opposing polarities.

Worth labelling everything

powerEQ6R.jpg

powerEQ8.jpg

I think with this, one image is of the plug and the other of the socket, hence the difference, they have to be the same as many dealers sell power cables that fit both of these mounts, (same cable) and they would not be able to do this if there was no accepted convention.... 😀

(This multi-standard issue reminds me of Groucho Marx “Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well I have others”)

Anyway, here is a simple relay based solution with zero voltage drop. The D2 doide can probably be omitted, it is more like a standard with relays for cancelling out inductive voltage spikes. Any small diode can be used for both D1 and D2, like 1N4001 etc.

Ragnar

IMG_20191110_112755.jpg.214ad8e247ce89ad3ccdc2a33fc9283e.jpg

I am not certain that "wandering eye" is correct suggesting one is the plug and one the socket , though it would be nice to think they didn't reverse polarity between models

I include a larger screengrab from first the Neq6R manual and second the EQ8 manual

they both seem to use "diagram 4.3" but have swapped the polarity on the eq8 manual page , suggesting it is opposite 

these connectors only come in "male" panel type as far as I know , the cable connectors being the female

I also believe neither mount has any reverse polarity protection build in , something I will be adding to any mod I make on my system.

(see the good suggestions from others in this thread as how to do this)

NEQ6R first then EQ8

powerEQ6R_full.jpg

powerEQ8full.jpg

3 hours ago, fifeskies said:

I am not certain that "wandering eye" is correct suggesting one is the plug and one the socket , though it would be nice to think they didn't reverse polarity between models

I include a larger screengrab from first the Neq6R manual and second the EQ8 manual

they both seem to use "diagram 4.3" but have swapped the polarity on the eq8 manual page , suggesting it is opposite 

these connectors only come in "male" panel type as far as I know , the cable connectors being the female

I also believe neither mount has any reverse polarity protection build in , something I will be adding to any mod I make on my system.

(see the good suggestions from others in this thread as how to do this)

NEQ6R first then EQ8

powerEQ6R_full.jpg

powerEQ8full.jpg

In that case then someone need to inform FLO, as they do one cable for both mounts...

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-cables-leads-accessories/lynx-astro-silicone-power-cable-for-sky-watcher-az-eq5-az-eq6-eq6-r-eq8-r-mounts.html

i did my eq6 pro same as picture below ,im no sparky but managed to solder correctly and used multimeter to check polarity on power lead ,i used blutack around back of pcb to isolate the part to solder as i didnt trust my soldering skills worked a treat and blutac cleaned up a treat  just make sure hole for fitting is in correct place and it does not snacg anything once fitted 

On 05/11/2019 at 13:14, WanderingEye said:

Does this help..

546C0771-767A-4425-9C6D-8663911E628F.png

Ref Lux Eterna polarity protection.

DO NOT omit diode D2. This prevents a very large voltage spike being generated when the relay coil switches off.
This can reach 1KV or more. It will break down the blocking diode, then possibly the scope electronics.

The effect is known as 'back emf'. Small relays and the like can easily generate spikes big enough to break down wire insulation, wreck semiconductor devices and blow small surface mount resistors.

If you want try it for yourself, just take a 9V battery and a relay. Keep hold of the bare ends of both coil wires and brush the wires on/off the battery.
I accept no responsibility for injury from jumping or your death!
Alternatively hold the insulated parts of the wires and watch the sparks as you make and break contact - a bit safer.

The FLO cable mentioned above is not listed as compatible with the EQ8 in the detail , but does state it suits the EQ8R and the rest of the range.

They do mention to confirm compatability before use.

Perhaps there are some versions of the EQ8 with the reversed polarity.

It seems it is a good idea to be very careful to check polarity when you add new adapters to an existing system.

took a look at the manuals online for the original EQ8 and the newer EQ8R

most important difference is the polarity reversal on the 12v input

The FLO input cable mentioned should suit all newer mounts including the EQ8R

It seems there is a nominal standard (apart from the EQ8) , for Skywatcher mounts to use the "new" standard

clearly it is essential not to connect reverse polarity to any mount so double check everything

I will be adopting the "new" standard on my NEQ6pro conversion to aircraft style power input 

the only time this really is likely to be an issue is if anyone upgrades to a second hand EQ8 after already using a Skywatcher mount with the newer aircraft style 12v power connection

powerEQ8full.jpg

EQ8R_power.jpg

Edited by fifeskies
edited for clarity

• 1 year later...
On 10/11/2019 at 18:02, WanderingEye said:

EQ8 is not the same as EQ8-R. Always be mindful of those little details but significant differences or learning will be expensive.