Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Wide field tutorials with the foreground ?

SAW

Hi,

Is there any tutorials out there for doing wide field stuff which includes some of the foreground, so you still using the tracking mount. From what I gather you do your normal tracked images and a separate foreground one and combine them ? I'm looking for a good tutorial either on YT or written. Something I'e wanted to do a while now but don't know where to start.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

There’s an Aussie chap on a YouTube channel called “Nightscape Images” that’s pretty  good and informative, he even takes the time to answer any questions posted.

While he doesn’t use a tracking mount (stacked images with foreground light painting instead) the work flow tutorials he uses can be used just the same. He uses Sequator for stacking, LR & PS for processing & editing. Sequator is freeware and if you don’t have the adobe package, Darkroom and GIMP(both freeware too) can be used with pretty much the same result. 

HTH

Andy

Edited by Andy R
YouTube
  • Thanks 1

Sequator is commonly recommended for this. Since I do other work involving masking, I have a copy of Topaz ReMask, which is AMAZEBALLS at letting you select the boundary between the sky and foreground, even with trees, brush, what have you. Super-useful tool. I would have gone bug-nuts insane trying to mask all these little leaves and branches without it: Example 1, Example 2

Absent ReMask,I think the Lonely Speck guy has a useful video tutorial on the process.

(Yes, I screwed up on the horizon in Example 1. But look at those trees!)

Edited by rickwayne
  • Like 1