Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

IC 1318 Sadr Region Narrowband Mosaic, Also Starring the Crescent Nebula

eshy76

Hi everyone!

I shot this over the 4 night clear patch in mid-September round my way. This ended up being a challenging series of captures - two nights were disrupted by a windows update on my mini PC, seeing was variable, I messed up focusing on one night...and the moon was not great for OIII capture, like everyone keeps saying!

Anyway, I was committed to a 4-pane Ha/OIII/SII mosaic - the Sadr region always looked so dramatic to me and I wanted to capture it, but I thought it would be a shame not to capture the Crescent nebula nearby, so I went for the mosaic!

Processing was also challenging given the different quality of the 4 panes, which is why I'm posting this over a month after shooting.

The colour mix I went with was my usual natural blend mix:

R = 0.76*Ha + 0.24*SII
G = OIII
B = 0.85*OIII + 0.15*Ha

Captured in APT, pre-processed and mosaic merger in APP, post-processing in Pixinsight. WO Z73 + CEM25P + Astrodon filters. 18.8 hours of integration.

Full details and higher res version here

Thank you for looking!

425430889_IC13182019-09-17NaturalBlend(Resized)-4215x3112.thumb.png.9ce04c87d6099ca7e14ffc53a1ecf3c1.png

• Like 14

45 minutes ago, eshy76 said:

Hi everyone!

I shot this over the 4 night clear patch in mid-September round my way. This ended up being a challenging series of captures - two nights were disrupted by a windows update on my mini PC, seeing was variable, I messed up focusing on one night...and the moon was not great for OIII capture, like everyone keeps saying!

Anyway, I was committed to a 4-pane Ha/OIII/SII mosaic - the Sadr region always looked so dramatic to me and I wanted to capture it, but I thought it would be a shame not to capture the Crescent nebula nearby, so I went for the mosaic!

Processing was also challenging given the different quality of the 4 panes, which is why I'm posting this over a month after shooting.

The colour mix I went with was my usual natural blend mix:

R = 0.76*Ha + 0.24*SII
G = OIII
B = 0.85*OIII + 0.15*Ha

Captured in APT, pre-processed and mosaic merger in APP, post-processing in Pixinsight. WO Z73 + CEM25P + Astrodon filters. 18.8 hours of integration.imageproxy.php?img=&key=127fb0a7147957bf

Full details and higher res version here

Thank you for looking!

425430889_IC13182019-09-17NaturalBlend(Resized)-4215x3112.thumb.png.9ce04c87d6099ca7e14ffc53a1ecf3c1.png

Hi! Beautiful image you produced here my friend! Well Done!! 

Wes, Liverpool, UK.

• Like 1

On 28/10/2019 at 09:29, Laurin Dave said:

That’s nice, I particulary like the bowl structure level with Sadr and above the Crescent.. 

Dave

Sorry, it took me a day or so to register exactly which part of the image you were referring to!

Yes that structure was the most surprising part of the image for me - I hadn't noticed it before. It is very clearly apparent in Ha and that top right pane was the best in terms of FHWMs, which helps!

• Like 1