Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Bird Jones

I have placed a wanted ad for a reflector OTA to practice my collimating skills and have been advised to steer clear of the Bird Jones type, but my problem is I don’t know what a Bird Jones  reflector type is 🙄Could anyone please explain how to tell the difference, thank you.

If there are no takers on this one I'll have a go. If the focal length of the Newt is longer than the tube then it's a Bird Jones. There is a built in Barlow. This is just what I've learnt from the forum-no direct experience.

37 minutes ago, banjaxed said:

I have placed a wanted ad for a reflector OTA to practice my collimating skills and have been advised to steer clear of the Bird Jones type, but my problem is I don’t know what a Bird Jones  reflector type is 🙄Could anyone please explain how to tell the difference, thank you.

Where abouts are you in the North West ??.....     I do have an old battered C8N   ( Celestron 8" Newtonian F5  )   that didn't fair well in the hands of a courier when it was delivered.    

I have always felt a bit embarassed about posting it on the 'For sales'  as the tube has a dent and a few scratches., but it seemed to work OK for visual and might be what you need as a practice instrument.

The mirror, cell , secondary  + vanes are all fully functional.   I was going to dismantle it and sell these bits as a package.

If interested.  Drop me a message.

sean.