Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Western Veil (Witches Broom)

Rodd

Bicolor images usually give me trouble--and this is no exception.  I probably could use more OIII data, and much of the Ha was captured during a full Moon, but its not too bad.  The thing that bothers me the most are the white, usatutaed areas.  I always get these when I shoot the Veil and don't know what they are or how to fix them.  I suspect they would be areas colored by the use of the SII filter, or RGB filters, but I could be wrong.  In any case--time for the Veil is slipping away for me very quickly--it hits the trees at 10:30.  If I need more data, it will have to be collected in teh next couple of weeks.  I have numerous version of the image--from bright to not so bright.  The tendency was to try and capture every spec of nebula--but I think it was a bit glaring.  So I am posting a slightly toned down version--not quite a bright.    Everything is there--just not as "in your face" as the original.  Maybe still too bright?  I dont want to lose the bits in the periphery. I must say, as Carole mentioned...the OIII is strong!--way brigter than the Ha for me (the Moon may have had something to do with this....hrd to say).

TOA 130 with ASI 1600

Ha: 113 300 sec

OIII: 747300 sec.

F4e.thumb.jpg.356820230741815313e5aa0e410579e2.jpg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Laurin Dave said:

Nice one Rodd..  I’d guess that the white bits are where it’s saturated..  have you measured the levels there? As they say the Oiii is very strong here

Dave

Thanks Dave. I didn’t think of that.  But those areas are not visible in linear state before stretch as is usually the case with overexposure.  

1 hour ago, ramdom said:

It's a beautiful image.

If you did an HOO image, the white bits are due to the strong signal in all three channels  = RGB = white. You see it in the SHO images also.

--Ram

Thanks--I did not know this.  I will have to give this some thought.  Meamwhile, I tried bining the data 2x2 in software.  Here is the image.  I like it better--though not sure its due to the binning....I processed a bit differently.

877141797_Bin2x2c.thumb.jpg.1c33deae2678d9599d4aa4080ecbc947.jpg

• Like 2

Just in case someone is following-I have made some modifications.  I kept the brightness of the core, but lifted the outer regions just a bit while sharpening the core just a tad.  I am calling this the final image.  This actually was a reprocess and I used deconvolution in linear state to eek out the fine details.  Image is still binned.  At some point I would like to try it unbinned.  may need more data for that.

Decon-7a.thumb.jpg.4ad2a0468040aaf57a35fdb90dec2d8c.jpg

Edited by Rodd
  • Like 1