Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Help with HEQ5 power supply

I have been using a skywatcher power tank which just seems to fail every time. Fully charged and I’m lucky to get three hours out of it (it’s been properly maintained and is relatively new which is disappointing). Will this combination of cable and extension work for my HEQ5? Using a mains port would save me some headaches. 

56001065-3BF7-4327-A6D6-C61C750324F4.jpeg

F763F38C-C911-4377-B7D4-19551BB1AC5C.jpeg

I bought a mains to 12V cable from Bern at Modern Astronomy.  You need to make sure the polarity is correct on the plug.  I would get it from an Astro dealer that way you can be sure to get the right thing.

Carole 

Edited by carastro

Hi Ben. Two comments on your post.

If the Skywatcher powerbank is a lead acid type, battery degradation is not surprising.
Lead acid batteries start to degrade from the day they are manufactured. A situation made worse by low cost (china) manufacturing methods.
It might be worth taking it to bits to see the battery type. Replace it by a reputable brand battery.
Lead acid batteries tend to come in standard physical sizes making replacement easy.

On the mains to 12V supply. Don't forget you are going to have the mains extension reel and power supply mains lead outside. Subject to condensation.
Ensure you have RCD protection in place indoors.
The mount power connector has a positive centre pin. 99% of power supplies have this arrangement. The remaining 1% will destroy your mount!
The photo detail doesn't show enough detail to be certain. Check before connecting!

HTH, David.

On 25/10/2019 at 12:16, Carbon Brush said:

Hi Ben. Two comments on your post.

If the Skywatcher powerbank is a lead acid type, battery degradation is not surprising.
Lead acid batteries start to degrade from the day they are manufactured. A situation made worse by low cost (china) manufacturing methods.
It might be worth taking it to bits to see the battery type. Replace it by a reputable brand battery.
Lead acid batteries tend to come in standard physical sizes making replacement easy.

On the mains to 12V supply. Don't forget you are going to have the mains extension reel and power supply mains lead outside. Subject to condensation.
Ensure you have RCD protection in place indoors.
The mount power connector has a positive centre pin. 99% of power supplies have this arrangement. The remaining 1% will destroy your mount!
The photo detail doesn't show enough detail to be certain. Check before connecting!

HTH, David.

Thanks for this, David, this was very informative for someone who is not particularly au fait with electrics (I'm now 20 and kicking myself for not paying attention in my physics lessons 4 years ago). The power cable is centre positive and I've got a Masterplug RCD adapter, so if all goes to plan this should solve my power supply woes.

Kind regards, Ben.

I bought and used something similar to your original post, also from Amazo  I think.  It did work...however, the tip seemed a little loose inside the HEQ5 power socket, didn't fill me with a whole lot of confidence but it worked.

I now use this, yes quite a bit more expensive but much better suited and I can run my camera, dew bands and mount from it.

https://www.altairastro.com/Pegasus-Pocket-Powerbox.html