NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Uranus moons

Cosmic Geoff

On 22 Oct I had a go at EEVA with the moons of Uranus, using my CPC800 and the ASI224MC (and flip mirror)

The image with about 5 sec exposure looked exciting, with several little dots in a line around Uranus's overexposed blob.  But when I analysed it later I found that I had imaged several 13th mag. background stars, and noted Oberon as a definite ID and Ariel as possible.  The seeing was bad.

The moons are clearly within the range of this setup, so I will try again sometime and see if I can secure a set of stackable images.  The Sharpcap live stacking wouldn't work on this occasion.

I needed Calsky to identify and eliminate the background stars, but it unhelpfully notes the moons as 'beyond the range of amateur telescopes.'  The Sky & Telescope tool identified the moons.

Hi Geoff, Your set up should easily get the moons. Personally I favour doing short 1 to 2 second exposures and stacking.

The free software WinJUPOS will show you where the moons are for planets.

Good luck,

Mike 

17 hours ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

I needed Calsky to identify and eliminate the background stars, but it unhelpfully notes the moons as 'beyond the range of amateur telescopes.'  The Sky & Telescope tool identified the moons.

Sky & Telescope needs to define what it means by amateur telescope - I have seen 3 of them in a 20" Dob.

• Like 1

I took this image on the same night (not EEVA though, 9.25 SCT with modded Canon 500D, 10 s exp , I think). The Sky and Telescope tool showed where the main moons should be. Apparently Umbriel and Ariel are often lost in the glare of the planet. 1197068575_MoonsofUranus.jpg.b5e48f2d2e5e07a0a6fc83ee126226f8.jpg

384841533_Uranusmoons.jpg.74be66631001e4e8ab91c11f34ffb4dd.jpg

• Like 3

Here's my not very good image, with the identifiable blobs marked.  This image is the 'right' way up, non-reversed.  Note that with a SCT if the camera is not looking through a diagonal the image will not be mirror-reversed.  Some of the objects in Stevewanstall's image are stars, others are moons.

uranus_moons.jpg

Edited by Cosmic Geoff
  • Like 2

Another effort, on 24 Oct.  This time I made a stack of 100 images, which gives a slightly sharper result and (on the imaging laptop) I could see four moons and no interfering stars. Moons identified with the Sky & Telescope tool. Image non-inverted.

Taken with CPC800, ASI224MC (and flip mirror).

Uranus4moons.jpg

Edited by Cosmic Geoff
  • Like 2