NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Using a Windbreak to help with light pollution

Hertford Stargazer

On and off for a long time I've looked at observing tents and such like as a means of screening from both light and breezes, but always thought they'd be too restrictive. Has anyone successfully utilized a camping/beach windbreak for such a purpose and if so where did you buy it. I would need one at least 6 foot in height which is proving to be a stumbling block. I know I could probably make one myself but have alot of stuff going on at the moment so am lacking in time and energy.

Thanks

I don't know if it is of any help but just throwing an idea out, I've put one of these together:

281742436_LightPollutionScreen.jpg.1457d409728d29c9ef2066f021db991b.jpg

It's not so much a wind breaker (very little wind where I live) but a light glare screen. I use king size black bedding sheets stuck together which simply slides over the frame. My own is over 2 metres tall and about 1 metre wide, but as you can see from the diagram, you could make it any size you want. The whole thing cost less than €30, takes minutes to set up and tear down at the end of a session, there's no gluing, and no fuss. I haven't used it in the wind but I imagine it'll act like a sail.

For me, under my own circumstances, it's the best light block system I have yet to make; light, cheap and very effective.

I built something similar to what Rob proposed out of PVC pipe and used window shade blackout material for the barrier. I just secure mine around the PVC using some 2" spring clamps. I also made the upper, lower, left and right sides of the frame adjustable by using larger and smaller diameter pipe, drilling some holes and adding pins. Our club uses it for other banners of different sizes at events.

Edited by Buzzard75

4 hours ago, Alan White said:

Same idea, but I fenced my area, 6 ft high fence.
blocks the multitude of spotlights next door (main purpose) and
has the benefit of being a super windbreak as well.

IMG_3493.thumb.JPG.5ea46c788793f8a99a36012c2b396570.JPG

Thanks for posting the photo, that looks just the job. I would do something similar if I could get away with it, unfortunately my main observing spot is in my front garden and the local council are very hot on things that can be seen from the footpath, especially if it's more then about 4 foot in height so it needs to be removable.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Buzzard75 said:

I built something similar to what Rob proposed out of PVC pipe and used window shade blackout material for the barrier. I just secure mine around the PVC using some 2" spring clamps. I also made the upper, lower, left and right sides of the frame adjustable by using larger and smaller diameter pipe, drilling some holes and adding pins. Our club uses it for other banners of different sizes at events.

Wow, sounds perfect. I beginning to think that anything I buy off the shelf is going to be a compromise but the plastic pipe method I can tailor exactly to my situation.