NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Takahashi Focuser Sideplay

46 minutes ago, jock1958 said:

You’ve got me thinking about this again and especially as yours seems to have even more play and  stiff to use.

How many teflon glides are in this focuser?

from me:

The adjustment is now done and the Tak focuser is now buttery smooth. I loosened the 3 glide set screws until I had backlash and drawtube side play. The set screws were then slowly snugged up until both the backlash and side play were "just" gone. For me there is no need (yet anyway) to delve into the bottom plate area as there is a nice relationship between the glides and the rack & pinion backlash.

As a test a hvy Baader/Zeiss prism diag and 30mm Es 82 were put vertical in the scope- no problem holding it at all. Tonight we'll see how the Binotron 27's make out."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jock1958 said:

You’ve got me thinking about this again and especially as yours seems to have even more play and  stiff to use.

I tried winding the adjuster in and it does remove some of the play but then becomes unusable if you see what I mean.

The only things I can think that might be worth checking is the adjustment of the focuser  pinion to rack, also check the rack is securely attached to focuser tube.

I’ve measured the gap between the rack &  notch cut out in the focuser housing and it’s 0.010” / 0.25mm not sure if this has any bearing on side play and whether it acts as guide for the rack?

Let me know how you go and have you the same TAK as me?

I have FS-60Q.

I am okish with the focuser now. I adjusted it to get rid of stiffness but it's still not as smooth as out of the box one from various other mid priced scopes. Side play is annoying since when drawing out you can see the focuser tube actually moving sideways.

The reality is that many people have issues with Tak focuser and that's why there's a whole industry out there and you can buy £600+ focuser for it :D

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, heliumstar said:

I have FS-60Q.

I am okish with the focuser now. I adjusted it to get rid of stiffness but it's still not as smooth as out of the box one from various other mid priced scopes. Side play is annoying since when drawing out you can see the focuser tube actually moving sideways.

The reality is that many people have issues with Tak focuser and that's why there's a whole industry out there and you can buy £600+ focuser for it :D

I was after a second hand FS-60C or CB as the ultimate lightweight grab & go, apart from the focuser woes are you generally pleased with it?

I took my focuser off earlier to have a quick nose and I’m convinced the slot machined out of the focuser housing is the guide for the pinion rack, if it’s made of aluminium it will wear in time giving you an increased amount of side play, what do you reckon?

224EF42A-9DD8-4FF5-87F6-9599A061F6DC.jpeg

19C7CB37-E7BB-45B3-B5BA-652527372218.jpeg

45 minutes ago, heliumstar said:

....The reality is that many people have issues with Tak focuser and that's why there's a whole industry out there and you can buy £600+ focuser for it :D

People have been moaning about stock focusers for practically all brands for the 15 years that I have been on this forum. 

Moonlite, Feathertouch and Baader have done very well supplying replacements :smiley:

Even Astro Physics focusers are often replaced.

Happy to say that my TMB/LZOS refractor came with a Feathertouch as standard though :thumbright:

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jock1958 said:

I was after a second hand FS-60C or CB as the ultimate lightweight grab & go, apart from the focuser woes are you generally pleased with it?

I took my focuser off earlier to have a quick nose and I’m convinced the slot machined out of the focuser housing is the guide for the pinion rack, if it’s made of aluminium it will wear in time giving you an increased amount of side play, what do you reckon?

I am very pleased with it. That flat field!!.....I use Q mode for white light and splitting double stars and it's just amazing. Luna is great as well. I had it at 270x the other day and the view was really good. It's like you are looking at the mountains far away. Really good image. It's 60mm though so you have to manage expectations. In CB mode I use it for EAA but less lately in part because of focusing issues. Bahtinov might help here.

9 minutes ago, John said:

People have been moaning about stock focusers for practically all brands for the 15 years that I have been on this forum. 

Moonlite, Feathertouch and Baader have done very well supplying replacements :smiley:

Even Astro Physics focusers are often replaced.

Happy to say that my TMB/LZOS refractor came with a Feathertouch as standard though :thumbright:

I don't know how Chinese scopes do it. Altair Astro 80ED-R is one example of a sleeper telescope. No CA whatsoever, great focuser, great looks. And all that for the price of a FT focuser for my little Tak. Strange times.... I am on the verge here. Get new focuser or get the whole new telescope again :D

• Like 1