Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Good Ebay Score - Celestron C6 Newtonian

So, there was this interesting telescope on auction on Ebay.co.uk last week and I just bid the lowest amount - 35 GBP - yes 35! I was the highest bidder - kind of surprised there but oh well, luck struck and I picked it up the other day. This is Vixen made 6" Newtonian on Vixen Polaris mount. Condition I would say is not ideal but still servicable. Would need some love but the mount is smooth and I just love Vixen's slow-mo controls. These are rusty though. It has a sled focuser and surprisingly it is in mint condition and very smooth. One of the better focusers I used.

The mount looks like a great one. Smooth and it can be set up in Alt-Az as well. I am still debating myself if I should tackle a little cleaning and regreasing or just send it somewhere. The same for the mirror. I can see the coatings deteriorated but still usable imo.

IMG_0887.jpeg.adc94e8299449d15356a86eb49b35279.jpeg

IMG_0888.jpeg.6b4d2224f13d44bebc75bde91101851e.jpeg

• Like 3

With a little TLC that will be a super scope !

Vixen made stuff for Celestron back in the 1980's and 90's.

The mount is a Vixen Polaris but I'm sure you know that.

The focusing arrangement on the scope was unusual using a side to side movement with the whole secondary assembly moving back and forth along the optical axis as I recall.

I actually bid on it because of the mount ;) A bunch of other stuff came with the scope as well. Two counterweights for the mount (sometimes these are not original when mounts bought second hand), two finders (8x30, 6x24) and a telescope called Topic 60/700 made in Japan. Focuser is 0.965" eyepiece side. Came with a diagonal and eyepiece but in pretty bad shape. Worth testing out though. Focuser again on this telescope is better than many, many new telescopes. You would think we would advance in this department but many achromats today have worse focusers than this old one.

The same seller had 26mm Celestron Plossl and 2x Barlow (both Vixen made I think) but I was only able to grab Celestron 7.5mm for 14 GBP.

Anyway .. here is a photo of the telescope. Any ideas what this is? It says Topic Astronomical Telescope 60mm / 700 ... probably one of the many that were made for different brands.

IMG_0893.jpeg.a4c0c98ee8334f0980ca438c1d49596e.jpeg

Edited by heliumstar

The Topic refractor looks very similar to my 1960's Tasco 60mm. The focuser wheels and lens cell / dew shield design are exactly the same.

These were sold under a variety of brand names back then. I think they might have been made by Towa - check to see if there is a "circle-T" logo on the label.

Aha, so you were the bidder.
looked at it myself as it was only up in Chelmsford.

That Vixen made scope does look mighty interesting and should be superbly made.
The 6" Newtonian is a Goldilocks scoe to me.
I would have been bidding for the Newtonian and the rest would have been unwanted, funny old world.
Look forward to you first light if it ever clears up.

Edited by Alan White

7 minutes ago, John said:

The Topic refractor looks very similar to my 1960's Tasco 60mm. The focuser wheels and lens cell / dew shield design are exactly the same.

These were sold under a variety of brand names back then. I think they might have been made by Towa - check to see if there is a "circle-T" logo on the label.

There is indeed Circle T on the sticker. So I got myself a classic :) Interesting that this scope was used as a finder/guider?? on Celestron.

5 minutes ago, Alan White said:

Aha, so you were the bidder.
looked at it myself as it was only up in Chelmsford.
That Vixen made scope does look mighty interesting and should be superbly made.
Look forward to you first light if it ever clears up.

I was surprised no one else bid on it. I was mainly after those Silver Top Plossls and Vixen 2x Barlow. Still very happy I got it and it was worth detour up from A127 ;) You can see that the whole package was very well made and the tube is amazing since it's very light-weight. I'll closely inspect the mirror and do a star test and if all good I'll send it for recoat to OO. As for the mount I already contacted DarkFrame and am sending Dave photos of the mount so we can see what can be done. The idea is to get it all refurbished and get the whole thing into the showpiece state. Any othe recommendations for mount refurb?

• Like 1