Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

PHD Calibration problem

michaelmorris

I have a new (to me) SW EQ6-GT mount.  On it I have mounted a SW 80ED with a standard SW 9 x 50 finder converted into a guide scope using the SW  finder to C-mount adaptor.  I use a SX Lodestar 2x guide camera screwed directly on the C-mount adaptor.

I've always found that my mount calibration seems to take ages when using a finder/guider (up to 10 minutes).  However, with the new mount it takes so many steps to calibrate that PHD2 runs out of time and calibration fails.  If I try it using PHD version 1, calibration is successful, but still takes ages to complete.  I am using 3 second exposures and the calibration step size set to the maximum value that the software will allow.  I have checked and PHD2 is definitely moving the mount on each step, just not enough.

What am I doing wrong?

is it taking forever on the 'clearing backlash' step ?  

Mine does - there is actually quite a lot of backlash in Dec, even though it's belt-driven, try rocking it in Dec when the clutches are locked, if you can 'rattle' it by a small amount, that's the backlash.

It is adjustable, have a look at Shane W's post, the 5th post in this thread:

I've done mine, though I'd recommend you run the mount through 360 degrees both ways after adjusting to see if it binds anywhere.  Mine now completes calibration after about 30 backlash steps, which I can live with.

edit:

If it's not that, it might be the driver you have installed, or Eqmod problems - try calibrating with an ST4 cable and 'on camera'

Edited by glowingturnip

2 hours ago, michaelmorris said:

with the new mount it takes so many steps to calibrate that PHD2 runs out of time and calibration fails.  If I try it using PHD version 1, calibration is successful, but still takes ages to complete.  I am using 3 second exposures and the calibration step size set to the maximum value that the software will allow.  I have checked and PHD2 is definitely moving the mount on each step, just not enough.

What am I doing wrong?

Not sure if this is relevant but are the guidescope focal length and guide camera pixel size entered correctly?  Some have reported finding these changed for no readily identifiable reason. 

Can you post a guide log with one of these failed calibrations?