Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First Light with 12" Revelation

davo

The following is a letter I wrote in response about a scope I had just purchased from him via this website.[/]

“Sorry I was in a rush this morning.I hope you got it out the car OK and fingers crossed for some great views tonight. Let me know how you get on, see you at the CAA sometime.

Best wishes”[/]

[/]

[/]

Reply:[/]

[/]

I’m having so much fun with it I’m temped to write a separate piece on SGL about it. Apologies for the way I write but it’s just as comes out as I think back. Yes I got home ok and had help getting it out of the car and into the house. I checked the collimation and it was still spot-on so didn’t have to adjust it at all. I must say that I really am very pleased with it. The scope is great, the finder is great & the eyepieces are great! You obviously treated it well. All the crucial parts are in immaculate condition. I gave the bearings a coating of thick grease and it now runs really lovely. Great star images, a darker background with more stars than I’m used.[/]

[/]

That Saturday night I set the finder up with M42 and looking through the 2” eyepiece just knocked my socks off! I have never seen such detail in the wispy nebulosity with it wings folding right back all over the view and with dark bite-like chunks here-and-there which I have never seen before! And the four stars in the middle were easily split (I spotted them straight away) just fantastic! I love this scope sooooo much already! Great good clean star images and I have got the hang of swapping the eyepieces around in the low light too. [/]

[/]

Next was M1 which actually took on structure and shape! Also M81 & 82 Again M82 had the split across the middle which was really pleasing to see. Open star cluster M35 was a beauty and I could see something next to it which I had never noticed. This turned out to be its companion which I looked up and believe it to be NGC2158 a very condense open cluster (blimey). Lastly a couple of faint ones NGC 2403, Urser major/Camelpardlis border, with an uncanny supernova looking star very near to it… mmmmm… I wonder? And NGC2841 galaxy in User Major. And a nice meteor (just with the eye) which topped the evening off quite nicely.[/]

[/]

Also…..yesterday Sunday early evening a chance to view The Moon (with moon filter) as it was just past first quarter. In particular I chose Crater Claudius (really so clear and beautiful), something I set out to find was “The Wall” which was a first for me (yippee), Capernicus (really nice views of the stepped edges), Vallis Alpes, Plato, the crater Imbrium area & the Terminator. I am really pleased with the views of the moon being really really sharp in focus something I didn’t really expect.[/]

[/]

Ohhh.. and my binoculars didn’t get a look in all weekend.[/]

[/]

[/]

Thanks[/]

You've made my christmas.[/]

[/]

[/]

Dave[/]

[/]

:cheers: [/]

[/]

Dave,

I am very pleased to hear you got the scope out the car.... and have put it to such good use already!

As I said, I think they are fantastic value for money and so easy to use. Sounds like you have a pretty reasonable site too.

This was a great report to read and what a fantastic weekend of observing. I was up early Sunday and had some great views of Saturn. I had to break the ice to be able to open the shutter on my dome at 4.30am....so cold but well worth getting out of bed for!

See you at the CAA sometime.

Best wishes

Linton

Archived