NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

A sad sight... ...viva espagne

andrew s

Wondering how those obsy roofs open? Do they slide off in one piece or run together in strips?

And that's an awful lot of "stuff" hanging off the back of your ODK. Wondering what it it, the only bit I recognise is the filter wheel and camera.

32 minutes ago, DaveS said:

Wondering how those obsy roofs open? Do they slide off in one piece or run together in strips?

And that's an awful lot of "stuff" hanging off the back of your ODK. Wondering what it it, the only bit I recognise is the filter wheel and camera.

Each obs roof opens independently but in one piece per obs.  The scope is set so the roof cannot hit the scope or mount in  any position.

It is a spectrograph see my thread "Simple transmission spectrograph "

Just got the mount slewing😀

Regards Andrew 

• Thanks 1

All kit assembled and seems to be working. Polar alignment done and now doing a large Tpoint model. Then I need check the spectrograph alignment and should be ready of a real data run tomorrow if it is clear again. Rain forecast here while I am travelling back 😱.

Regards Andrew

• Like 2

3 hours ago, andrew s said:

Heading back tomorrow. He is a snap shot of Vega (0.01 s) taken from the Pixel Skies site. I will do a review of my experience here when I get back but it has been very positive.

Regards Andrew

1307689657_Vega0_01s.thumb.png.60e4ff754dab99cfe3b76b434323972c.png

Safe travels home Andrew.

Looking forward to your review.

Ive been in Madrid this week and it’s turned damp and cooler the last couple of days. Nice to be back in balmy Cheshire 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I only just spotted this thread but it's a good one! I'm sure you've made the right decision. I host six instruments on a semi-informal basis, nothing like Colin and Ian's highly professional setup, but I get a real buzz when I'm setting up our own kit for the night and I hear the other roofs open. It's just nice to think of people in light polluted or cloudy places enjoying our clear night.

Please say Hi to Colin and Dave if I'm not too late. They've both been to my place.

Olly

• Like 1

Just to round this off I got back safe and sound following a 200 mile detour to avoid road blocks on the AP-7 in Spain and an encounter with the French customs who pulled me over on the motorway to search the car. It seems too many of us geriatrics are supplementing their pensions by being drug mules.

I am now working through all the necessary steps to characterize and calibrate the new spectroscope  but here is a raw spectrum from a calibrated image of 61 Cyg taken remotely at Castillejar. The 61 Cyg A B pair are K5e and K7e here I have jogged the spectra to overlap.

Sorry Olly I had already left by the time you posted.

Regards Andrew710281976_61Cyg.png.27d0d690dd58c2f5321c124fc9ad37b3.png

Edited by andrew s
  • Like 1