Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Paint Flecks on Primary Mirror of New Skywatcher Heritage 130p - Is it common?

Hi,

I received a brand new Skywatcher Heritage 130p on Wednesday and, after taking off the dust cap, saw several small black spots on the primary mirror (please see the attached photo). I think it's most likely the black paint on the inside of the tube that's flaking because when I ran my finger over the internal surface of the tube, I saw a small piece of black paint on my fingertip. I had ordered the same model about 2 years ago from another online retailer and it had an even bigger black spot on the main mirror and I returned that one right away. Has anyone had similar experiences with the Skywatcher Heritage? It seems to be a flaw in the manufacturing process, as in, the way the inner surfaces are painted or the quality of the paint.

Thanks.

IMG_20191003_163219977.jpg

Difficult to avoid considering the travel distance from China. They will be dry spots and would probably blow or brush off. The good news is that they will have no effect on the performance, compare their size to that of the secondary holder and you can't even see that in use.    🙂

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Peter Drew said:

Difficult to avoid considering the travel distance from China. They will be dry spots and would probably blow or brush off. The good news is that they will have no effect on the performance, compare their size to that of the secondary holder and you can't even see that in use.    🙂

Thanks, that's reassuring :)

1 hour ago, johninderby said:

Skywatcher should copy Bresser. My new Bresser dob came with a rubberised coating inside the tube. Properly black and no chance of paint flakes.

Yes, and I don't think it would significantly increase the manufacturing costs, tbh.

Edited by Usman