Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

scope cover

Hi so the new scope cover is def getting tested . When I checked this morning the scope had a very small amount of condensation on it so I've put a small comp fan running on a phone powerbank under the cover just to aid circulation.

20191001_121220.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Adam J said:

You really do need a pier with some hard standing around it mate. Condensation will be a killer if you don't control it. 

I'm working on it .

As for condensation I'm hoping the fan helps just by keeping airflow under the cover .

Mind you not only the telescope, over time what is the condensation ultimately going to do to the tripod legs and adjustment mechanism, even if stainless steel?  Why don't you go online to somewhere like ebay and buy a really decent Chimnea cover that will go over everything to the ground level (they aren't expensive and you can get some really decent ones - I don't think I'd ever buy an expensive telescope  designed cover), possibly as a over-the-top cover above what you already have.  Sitting the whole set-up on a few cheap paving slabs would probably not be a bad idea too in the short term, even if you just dropped them onto the ground.  I know that telescopes should be outdoors proof to some extent, but I am not sure I'd want my kit stored as in the photo above.  

As an additional point to take care if we get some gales.  I have a Chimnea - a fair large heavy metal thing with a wider base and narrow top, just like the profile of your scope.  It has a cover on it, but in gales, having seen it rock, I do move it to somewhere sheltered in case it gets blown over - big covers act as quite remarkable sails even if they fit tight (as mine does) - I wouldn't want to see your scope blown over.

37 minutes ago, JOC said:

Mind you not only the telescope, over time what is the condensation ultimately going to do to the tripod legs and adjustment mechanism, even if stainless steel?  Why don't you go online to somewhere like ebay and buy a really decent Chimnea cover that will go over everything to the ground level (they aren't expensive and you can get some really decent ones - I don't think I'd ever buy an expensive telescope  designed cover), possibly as a over-the-top cover above what you already have.  Sitting the whole set-up on a few cheap paving slabs would probably not be a bad idea too in the short term, even if you just dropped them onto the ground.  I know that telescopes should be outdoors proof to some extent, but I am not sure I'd want my kit stored as in the photo above.  

As an additional point to take care if we get some gales.  I have a Chimnea - a fair large heavy metal thing with a wider base and narrow top, just like the profile of your scope.  It has a cover on it, but in gales, having seen it rock, I do move it to somewhere sheltered in case it gets blown over - big covers act as quite remarkable sails even if they fit tight (as mine does) - I wouldn't want to see your scope blown over.

Hi the tripod is temporary working on a pier . I put a small comp fan under the cover last night and I’ve just checked and not one bit of condensation anywhere 🥳🥳. I only intend to leave scope outside on pier perm but the cams and stuff will only be out a few days at a time.chimnea? Having a look now oh and my cover £50

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fieldsy said:

chimnea? Having a look now

I am constantly amazed by what you can buy online and have gone cover crazy here.  Chimnea covers, BBQ covers, patio furniture covers.  Some of the high 'Oxford' fabric ones are quite good, but I got an excellent one for our big BBQ made out of a heavy grade plastic that has VTarp.com printed on it and that really does seem fairly decent waterproof quality on the 'plastic' side of things rather than the Oxford 'fabric' side of things.

1 hour ago, JOC said:

I am constantly amazed by what you can buy online and have gone cover crazy here.  Chimnea covers, BBQ covers, patio furniture covers.  Some of the high 'Oxford' fabric ones are quite good, but I got an excellent one for our big BBQ made out of a heavy grade plastic that has VTarp.com printed on it and that really does seem fairly decent waterproof quality on the 'plastic' side of things rather than the Oxford 'fabric' side of things.

Yeah some of them look great and for the price .just not sure the width at the bottom would cover pod legs.cant wait to finish the pier will save a lot of time setup and breakdown .

2 minutes ago, Fieldsy said:

Yeah some of them look great and for the price .just not sure the width at the bottom would cover pod legs.cant wait to finish the pier will save a lot of time setup and breakdown .

Yes having a permimently aligned system saves a tone of time. When I had my kids I built an obsy so that I would have time to continue imaging, if not for the obsy I would never get any done most likely due to not having the energy at the end of a day to drag the scope outside. 

• Like 1