Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Saturn - 7th (very early hours) December

russ

Finished off my perfect nights viewing with another stint on Saturn. This time with some decent aperture.

Had a quick peak with the ED80 first and it was okay. Not too bad considering the aperture.

But then for the main event. The 12.5 with the Speers-Waler zoom :D Been waiting for this moment since September.

Worth the wait :thumbright:

The Starfinder has knockout optics, i now see what all the reviews were saying. Absolutely pants mechanics but stunning optics. Hmm that sounds like a certain other telescope maker....i wonder who that could be????

Saturn was glorious. Multiple banding, nice shadow from the rings and a very tiny tilt on the rings. In the Megrez and ED80 the rings appear as a single line. But the 12.5 at 320x does show the tilt. Also never seen so many moons.

Saturn still looks beautiful even with the rings closed. Worthanyone'stime and effort to see it.

Regards

Russ

• 2 weeks later...

This sounds like a great sight and I will have to give Saturn a quick go with TMB monocentric before imaging with DMK. Able to see the full disc for once, were the colours well balanced from top to bottom?

Could only really see colour in the band above the ring shadow. Had another look this morning but the seeing wasn't quite as good. Could see two bands easily and then a hint of some more. Just couldn't pull in the same detail, a bit of a struggle really.

Sounds fantastic Russ - thanks for sharing it :(

I'm really tempted to get some more aperture - 12" sounds a good step up from 8" - I'm just worried about portability - is that a real issue with your Starfinder 12.5 ?

John

John, I wouldn't be put off by the size providing you have a good back and the scope won't be stored anywhere too awkward. It takes me half the time to setup the 12.5 than it does the ED80 on the EQ5. And the 12.5 is lot easier to use to boot. In fact i have no idea why i have an ED80?? Only used it once and can't see any reason, other than viewing the sun, for setting it up. Hmm ED80 and EQ5 on buy'n'sell me thinks!

I give a double thumbs up to the 12" dob :(

Russ

Sounds like great optics in that Starfinder.

Russ,

Are they USA optics in the Starfinder 12.5" ?. I know that Discovery Optics (US firm) made the optics for Celestron Starhoppers and Orion (US) DSE's in the past and they are reputed to be particularly good pyrex optics - they may have done the same for Meade.

I missed out on an 11" Starhopper a couple of days ago by being indecisive .... :(

John

The Starfinder does indeed use 'made in USA' optics. But as dobs go it's heavier and larger than a standard 12 due to the Sonotube. I have no problem, so i'm guessing you average Skyliner or Lightbridge 12 would be real easy to setup or move around.

Doc, should be well worth turning the LB towards Saturn :(

Good read Rus. I need to see Saturn now! Can't wait to get a glimpse but i have a very limited horizon so it's gunna be close :scratch:

Jahmanson i defiantly recommend a 12" Dob. Mine has just blows my socks off every time i use it. A 16" must be crazy!!!

Dave

Archived