Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Azimuth positioning

EMT500

Hi:) I'm newly retired and here we go. Lifelong desire, but WOW! lots to learn.  I have a Newtonian Orion 130st. My question is: Once I have polar aligned to the North I want to know if it is ok to loosen the azimuth lock and spin it around to look at Saturn, Jupiter; and am I still polar aligned? I find if I don't spin it that way the telescope puts me into some very strange viewing angles; which are almost impossible to use unless you are a contortionist. LOL. Thank you in advance. Tried Googling this; but couldn't get an answer. Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Agree with his answer

Maybe look at a video

This is a common question from new people they dont understand eq scopes will have some weird angles. Another suggestion get a good book like night watch. Theres alot of other good topics. 

16 minutes ago, joe aguiar said:

I am able to give me YouTube channel that I just started helping new people with telescope helps videos?

If I understand you correctly, you can start a video on You Tube then copy and paste it to a post on here.

Dave

Edited by Davey-T

• 2 weeks later...

It can be a bit strange at first, what I tend to do is unlock the Right Ascension and Declination clutches and move the stope to roughtly point at the target. This gives me an idea of how far I need to rotate the telescope to be easy to look through. For example, if the eyepeice is pointing at the floor, then I know I need to rotate the telescope about 90 degrees.

Then, tighten the clutches and loosen off the bolts on the tube rings enough to allow the scope to be rotated and spin the tube to an easier position. It is alot easier to do this when the telescope is flat so it doesnt slip backwards and fall. Then just point back at your target and you should be good. Just remember to tighten back the tube ring bolts again before you point the telescope upwards!