NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New telescope advice.

12 hours ago, MimasDeathStar said:

Wow thanks everyone for the replies and the advice its much appreciated.

I've had the time to do much more research though and I'm really sorry but I don't think the 200p is the right scope for me. Its not that I don't believe anyone its just that there are one or two hurdles that I don't think I could overcome with a 200p (but thanks for all the advice I really wish I could say it was the perfect scope for me) I totally understand if you think "why ask advice if you're just going to ignore it?". But the issues in my head are:

• Having looked at some pictures I think it may take up quite a large place in the house and I'm not sure I have anywhere unobtrusive to store it.
  • I could probably fit the DOB itself somewhere in my van, but I don't think the base is a great shape for storage. We go away alot and space is already at a premium in the van I'm not sure it would go down to well if I tried to add something the size of another child into the mix.
  • I'm worried it would get muddy or damaged as we go away alot, also I worry it would get bashed about a fair bit trying to squeeze it in around a van with four other people and all their camping supplies in it.
  • Because of all this I really think I need something smaller, that I can store in a box or case or something, and that sits off the ground a bit more.

I think when I consider all these things then they add up to a fairly insurmountable mountain of obstacles. Having said that, I think if I get to grips with astronomy this will certainly be a scope to think about in the future so your advice has not been wasted.

So I've probably committed a massive sin and actually gone and ordered a scope today and am going to ask you all what you think; safe in the knowledge that if you all tell me its a total lemon then there's nothing I can do about it! But I don't think its a lemon, it seems quite nice and looks like it is small enough to put in the van but good enough to see some cool stuff. I've already got a heavy duty tripod with fluid head to start with but I'll think about my next move (better tripod) if I have fun with the scope. I've already got a diagonal and a couple of eyepieces that I bought in anticipation of getting a scope a few years ago but they're only cheap ones.

Its this scope here:

http://www.opticstar.com/Run/Astronomy/Astro-Telescopes-Opticstar.asp?p=0_10_1_1_54

Your reasons for not buying a big dob make perfect sense. I hope that you'll be happy with your Opticstar. I don't know much about refractors but this one sure looks nice 😉

It's fine to ask for advice and not follow it... the main point is to get an idea of what your getting yourself into. 

Anyway my bet is that you ll get a dob later (and just to tease you, did you know that a 10' dob is the same length and only marginally bulkier than an 8' but gathers 56% more light)

Next step is to evaluate your EPs. I would aim for cheap but decent (about 40-50 GBP new, 20-30 GBP used) and that often means plossl design. Slightly more expensive are the BST staguiders which are highly praised on this forum.

Also make sure, you have a finder and know how to use it (red dot finders are cheap and intuitive but won't magnify, whereas 6x30 or 9x50 will reverse the image most of the time but will allow you see the brighter DSOs in the finder)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MimasDeathStar said:

So I've probably committed a massive sin and actually gone and ordered a scope today and am going to ask you all what you think

@MimasDeathStargreat buy and hope you enjoy your new toy 😀 These rich field scopes will open you to a world of low power viewing which is especially nice under dark skies. I use a slightly longer TV-76 and with something like a 24mm Panoptic, you'll be able to achieve almost 3º of sky. If the optics are up to scratch - I have no experience - you'll also be able to get nice views of the Moon, Jupiter and Saturn although I have found it virtually impossible to see Cassini Division in my small 3". Regardless, a very affordable and easy to grab n go/ drive with scope :thumbright:

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Alan64 said:

Perhaps your concerns will be allayed here...

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/327029-opticstar-80mm-f75-achromat-refractor-review/

That seems to be a telescope you'll always keep, and to enjoy.

Thanks for sharing that - thats a massive relief reading reviews from experienced people!

• Like 1