Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Linux/INDI support for ALccd-QHY 163

freiform

The most recent test reports on the QHY site for their Linux SDK suggest that the 183 works fine, so if you're using their latest libraries then there's no obvious reason that I can see to believe that it wouldn't work.

However, something odd is happening with the QHY SDK at the moment.  Up until the end of June new versions were being made available on their website on a regular basis (almost too regular :)  That has now stopped, yet the latest release of INDI claims to use a version of the SDK that is later (and not available).  I've had no response to my request as to where other developers might be able to get the SDK from.

There is evidence that suggests to me that Jasem Mutlaq may actually have a copy of the source for the SDK and be building his own releases independently of QHY, who don't appear to be doing very much with it at the moment.  If this is true I'd be slightly uncomfortable about relying on those QHY cameras without an open source driver (which is most of them, these days) working on Linux without some indication as to what support process exists in the event that they stop working.

And I may of course be wrong.  Though in that case it would be nice to know where I can get my hands on a copy of the SDK that has apparently been used to build INDI.

James

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, JamesF said:

[..] QHY, who don't appear to be doing very much with it at the moment.  If this is true I'd be slightly uncomfortable about relying on those QHY cameras without an open source driver (which is most of them, these days) working on Linux without some indication as to what support process exists in the event that they stop working.

Thank you, that is valuable information. I don't want to be dependent on some dubious software release practices.

I have a reasonable offer for a 1y/o 163 with wheel, LRGB and NB Filters. The filters are labelled ALccd 36mm, but I cannot find anything on those. Apparently, the NB have a bandwidth 12 nm, which is also not quite optimal. Even the relatively cheap ZWO/Optolong have 7 nm.

Well, after @Dr_Ju_ju's suggestion I posted over at the INDI boards, we'll see what comes up.

Sven

8 minutes ago, freiform said:

Thank you, that is valuable information. I don't want to be dependent on some dubious software release practices.

Quite.  I have no problem if QHY want to outsource their SDK development to Jasem, assuming that is what they've done (and I must reiterate that it's possible I have come to the wrong conclusion there).  In fact it may be quite productive as he has a commercial interest, via Stellar Mate, in having it work well whereas until recently support for QHY cameras outside Windows has been a little chaotic.  There are other people besides myself using the QHY SDK however who would probably like to know what's going on and how it will affect what they're doing, and those who wish to use QHY cameras on Linux are probably in the same boat.

James