Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

C11 SCT Guiding options

Ford Prefect

Hi Ford

I have two current options for my C11.

1 - Side by side rail (Teleskop Service and others) and I tend to use my 76mm Borg Achro but have also used a 60mm Scopos successfuly

2 - Piggy backmount on ADM rail - also using the Borg.

Personal preference is the side by side rail as it keeps the weight closer to the mount axis - seems more stable.

Some people also use off axis guiders - negating the need for a separate guide scope - not been there personally.

Hi John

I have a C11 on CGE and autoguide.

I have an ADM MDT bar fitted to the C11 and a couple of sets of rings, standard ADM for when I fit my ZS80 piggy back and home made to fit my 127 Mak. Mostly I guide with the 127 Mak using a Mintron 12V 6 and guidemaster. Heres a pic of it with the Mak.

The CGE is more than capable of handling the load of a piggyback set up its far easier to balance as well. I personally wouldn't bother with the hassle of side by side on this scale of scope and mount.

Hope that helps

post-14930-133877350782_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the advice guys :D you have given me something to think about. I had been thinking of getting a C6 SCT to guide with (since they seem so affordable at the moment :hello2: )

Phil, I notice on your website you have a review of the CGE mount, I would be very intrested to read it but the link on your website seems to be broken :)

Thanks again

Jon

Oh, sorry bout that, I shall try and fix it now, I rehashed the site a few months back and thought I had all bugs fixed but one has slipped through. I have had the CGE for almost 4 years now and I am still impressed with it especially its load carrying capability and it behaves itself when guiding as well.

If you have any Qs just pm me and I shall try and help.

Phil

Yep the link is now fixed, sorry bout that.

Jon

Mirror (Flip)

In the 4 years I have been using this combo I have never come across this on the MAk 127. Besides I cant see how you would get mirror flip when guiding anyway. When slewing from one side of the meridian to the other, yes, but guiding at slow speeds, no, besides the CGE does not drive over the meridian so that is not a problem

Mirror (flip) shift is existent but no problem on the C11 for imaging and the occassions when I use it for guiding. If you know its there you make sure you focus on a star near to where your imaging and then do a minor slew. If you then want to image another object the other side of the meridian then, yes, I would recommend refocusing because the mirror will have shifted.

CGE Weight

as you can see from my review the all up weight of the CGE is indeed heavy, but you aint gonna lift something like that in one go unless you are on steroids and have the build of godzilla.

The CGE does however break down into bite sized pieces, none of which will break your back. I used the C11 and CGE as a portable/mobile set up for the 1st 2 years I had it and I could be up and running/imaging in 20 minutes. I suffer from a weak back / sciatica and never once had problems when setting up or taking down.

However due to me not getting any younger and I wanted an observatory I set the gear up in an observatory and as my review states I would recommend the CGE to be used as a permanent set up BUT it can, and is used by many, as a heavy weight portable system.

IMHO, it is about the only mount of this size and carrying capacity which can be classed as portable. OK the EQ6 can handle large loads and is a bit lighter but its still heavy and it cant handle as much as the CGE.

Cheers

Phil

Phil,

Can't comment on the Mak, but as I said using my 12" LX200 for spectroscopy ( usually with a 20 micron slit) I could not keep the relative movements of the EXT90 guide star matching the image in the slit on the 12". I know I can get mirror movement during focussing ( and have fitted a mirror lock) in the 12" and found that there was also movement of the mirror/ flip mirror in the ETX during exposures.

I changed initially to a piggy-back ED80; no problems what so ever and recently went to the ST80 ( lighter, shorter tube etc)

My 2c

Hi Merlin, the 127 Mak in its various guizes, (mines a synta badged as Orion Apex), is very good as far as mirror shift is concerned. There is slight perceptible shift when focusing, especially now Ive fitted my own home made focus nob :D , but its very slight. I reckon it must have the same grease in it as they put in the synta mounts so its all stuck solid :hello2:

Archived