NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Dslr setting

AndreH12

I use 20 second exposures at 3200 ASA, and use manual focus (which I focus on the brightest 'star' I can find, which was Jupiter the week before last when I took this). It's onlt a 50mm kit lens, and I'm hoping to get a wide field lends soon. This is with a Canon 750DSLR.
I think, with a wider lens, you may be able to do longer exposures and take down the ASA. My pics are quite grainy. Not astrophotography standard, but I like them. There's slight star trailing.

ElanMk2.jpg

Edited by Swithin StCleeve
  • Like 1

I always have problems getting precise focus with my Canon 1100D. Even when a subject appears to be in focus in the viewer the end result is not. That's for both astro and ordinary every day photography.It may be because I always use old M42 threaded lenses and a M42  adapter ring. Through the screen digital focusing is often more precise but its not really viable for faint astro work.

I bracket the focusing back and fourth until I get some decent images but its all a bit of a guddle.

52 minutes ago, Swithin StCleeve said:

I use 20 second exposures at 3200 ASA, and use manual focus (which I focus on the brightest 'star' I can find, which was Jupiter the week before last when I took this). It's onlt a 50mm kit lens, and I'm hoping to get a wide field lends soon. This is with a Canon 750DSLR.
I think, with a wider lens, you may be able to do longer exposures and take down the ASA. My pics are quite grainy. Not astrophotography standard, but I like them. There's slight star trailing.

ElanMk2.jpg

Iso3200 is exactly what I would have said too. 

The 600D needs an ISO of 800 or 1600, as to focusing use the flip out screen and get rough focus on a bright star then use the zoom X10 to finalize focus by getting a very dim star to blink on/off with the slightest movement of the focus ring.................during focusing set the ISO high and shutter to 20 seconds (not bulb) then change them back for shooting. Another thing is dont use the camera tethered to a larger screen for focusing, the camera screen is much much much better.

Alan

Edited by Alien 13
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, AndreH12 said:

What f number would you use? And for how long to keep the shutter open? 

They're both discretionary. You want to keep the F number as low as possible taking into account that most lenses show some bloat the closer they get to being wide open. 

I don't know your lens but you could google it I imagine people out there will have an opinion. Obviously the wider aperture the more light comes in so the more information you get but sometimes at the expense of sharpness. If you're not sure I'd go one stop up from your smallest stop to be on the safe side.

If you're shooting from a fixed tripod then you follow the 500 rule - that is 500/focal length of lens = maximum exposure in seconds before star trails. It's useful as a rule but in reality you're talking about 20-25 secs.

With such short exposures, it is easy to take plenty with different settings and see what works best.

shutter speed: 5 to 30 seconds and see what works

iso: 1600 or so

f/: stopped down two stops from maximum

focus: use live view and zoom in to get something bright as small as possible.

• Like 1