Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

HEQ5 Setup

JCAZ

Can someone tell me what the polar scope in an HEQ5 is suppose to look like.  The only constellation in mine is Octans, seems like that would be a southern polar scope not northern.  I bought the mount in Canada, so I would think that would be odd.  Also, I thought I remember them coming up with some kind of "uni" version.  IN any case, seems like a southern reticle to me.

Any help appreciated,

john

Here's an approximation of the 'new' polar reticule.

It is intended for both northern and southern hemispheres.  When observing in the north, Polaris (α UMi) should be on the circle in a position determined either by the Synscan handset or one of the many polar finder apps. 

In the southern hemisphere where there is no convenient pole star, Octans is used for alignment.

455920486_Newreticulesm.jpg.2112bc731115ece2a68b9e0bee6a59b4.jpg

Edited by almcl
  • Like 1

Thank you very much.  That helps.  One other question, if I might - Should the reticle be oriented with 0 at noon, with the telescope in the home position (essentially counter weight shaft down)?

Thank you again, much appreciated.

For an accurate Polar Alignment the reticule should be positioned with 0 at the top.  It is very unlikely, however, that the polar scope will be oriented so that this is the case in the home position.  Instead, rotate the RA axis until 6 is at the bottom and 0 is at the top.  This won't affect the accuracy of the polar alignment but afterwards, for accurate Gotos, move the counterweight  shaft back to straight down after you have polar aligned (and the DEC axis back its position as well).

If you want to orient the reticule so that 0 is up when in the home position, it is possible by removing the scope (it unscrews) and then undoing the  lenses and rotating the reticule but I found this very fiddly and never did achieve a completely accurate orientation.  But for an accurate polar alignment, it is not necessary.

Edited by almcl
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, almcl said:

For an accurate Polar Alignment the reticule should be positioned with 0 at the top.  It is very unlikely, however, that the polar scope will be oriented so that this is the case in the home position.  Instead, rotate the RA axis until 6 is at the bottom and 0 is at the top.  This won't affect the accuracy of the polar alignment but for accurate Gotos, move the counterweight  shaft back to straight down after you have polar aligned (and the DEC axis back its position as well).

If you want to orient the reticule so that 0 is up with the home position, it is possible by removing the scope (it unscrews) and then undoing the  lenses and rotating the reticule but I found this very fiddly and never did achieve a completely accurate orientation.  But for an accurate polar alignment, it is not necessary.

Thank you for taking the time to respond, very helpful.

john

try a spirit level on the counter weight bar to know your orientation then adjust polar scope to suit.

depends on your intentions, if imaging and how long an exposure. The polar scope is only vaguely acurate for a decent PA to do imaging a polemaster or the ASI air are two ways to get your PA down to a few arc seconds

6 hours ago, Astro Dad said:

try a spirit level on the counter weight bar to know your orientation then adjust polar scope to suit.

depends on your intentions, if imaging and how long an exposure. The polar scope is only vaguely acurate for a decent PA to do imaging a polemaster or the ASI air are two ways to get your PA down to a few arc seconds

Could you explain a little further.  I used a spirit level on the accessory try to level the mount.  How would a level on the counter weight shaft assist in polar alignment?  Never heard that one before.

Surprisingly, my mount did track pretty well at high powers, but Polaris moved off the circle, so I knew something was wrong.

All in all it was a pretty good night.  I did manage to turn down the brightness on the polar scope, did a one star alignment which actually proved to be pretty accurate.  Scope slewed from the moon near the horizon to directly over head to view Alberio and put the double star in a 30 Paragon.  All things considered, that was pretty impressive.

Given the assistance here, I think it will improve.  I must say, I am pretty impressed by the HEQ5, but I have not done any imaging.

Edited by JCAZ

Home Position and Polar Alignment position are two totally separate things:

Polar Alignment position involves rotating the bar until 0 is at the top in the reticule and 6 is at the bottom. You then adjust the alt az adjusters to get Polaris or Octans into the required position.

Home Position is where the scope sits on top, pointing towards the celestial pole, and the counterweight bar points directly down. You achieve that by using a spirit level on the bar so that it's horizontal, then  using the scale to rotate it exactly 90 degrees.

Once you've set them both to the accuracy you desire, it's worth marking them with, say, coloured tape.

Cheers, M

Edited by Captain Magenta
  • Like 1

Thank you.  I know the difference between Polar alignment and home position.  I just didn't realize people used a level to get home position setup.  THank you again for taking the time to provide information, just makes for a much better experience when learning the mount.

Ironically I have had this mount since 2016, probably used it twice.  But now that I am back in Arizona astronomy is really becoming a hobby I enjoy once again.  And, I have also been a star hopper, so this goto stuff is pretty new for me.

Many thanks,

john