Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SW ED80 DS-Pro with scratch on lens Value????

All,

I am having a clear out and selling stuff I dont use to fund a mobile rig to use on an upcoming work trip to Australia.

I have a SW ED80 DS-Pro that is not getting used as I use the 130PDS most often. (I dont want to start that debate here though please). 

Its got a small scratch about the size of a eye lash or a little smaller on the front surface of the objective. You cant really see it in pictures but here is one anyway. With flash.

image.thumb.png.a75a4c7f511960673fdb62f07ff103bf.png

Nothing else of note visible without shining a torch directly on the optic and as we know that just makes you worry about nothing.

This does not seem to effect its performance. I may take a image with it just to prove the point to a potential buyer.

So my question is as OTA only whats it worth?? Difficult to find examples of scopes with scratches to get an idea or at least not that the sellers are admitting to!

Was thinking its got to be worth £190 to someone?

Thanks

Adam

Edited by Adam J

I pretty sure that you don't have to give a special price based on that - It can't be seen on the image, and I'm pretty sure that it will not impact the performance of the scope.

Maybe just a full disclosure about it and what you think would be fair price for second hand item given it's overall condition?

3 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

I pretty sure that you don't have to give a special price based on that - It can't be seen on the image, and I'm pretty sure that it will not impact the performance of the scope.

Maybe just a full disclosure about it and what you think would be fair price for second hand item given it's overall condition?

it is visible to the naked eye under normal lighting. i guess it will bother some people more than others.

11 minutes ago, johninderby said:

An interesting bit on scratches on  optics and a surprising conclusion.

http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/indexmag.html?http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/artjun04/pjso.html

I know it wont make a difference to performance. So i guess this is more about value or perceived value.

Hence you and me might be confident it wont matter but would a new astronomer looking for an ED80 be put off lol

Edited by Adam J

It’s a bit like a scratch on a car, no affect on performance, but may drop the price.

Having said that I can’t see any scratch on the objective in the pic, not saying there isn’t one with close inspection.  For any prospective buyer it depends how fussy they are.

Ed.

I am not currently in the market for one, but given the picture I wouldn't be put off purchasing and the reduced price would be a much bigger factor in my decision making than a scratch that's really really tiny.