Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Question about Canon 1000D vs. 450D

Hi all

This christmas, one of these two cameras is on my shopping list. After looking at the specs of the cameras on the canon site:

http://www.canon.co.uk/for_home/compare_products/loadcomparator.asp?prod=2766B001AA;2758B001AA;〈=UK&country=UK&dir=/for_home/product_finder/cameras/digital_slr/

some differences i see:

1000D Total Megapixal 10.5 compared with the 450D at 12.4mp

1000D Live view screen 2.5" in size compared with 450D 3"

1000D 7 AF Points compared with 450D 9 AF Points

1000D Raw Image at 12bits compared with 450D 14bits.

The 1000D in a high street retailer - retails at £322 inc. a standard IS 18-55mm lens plus cashback of £30

The 450D also retails at £434 inc. a standard IS 18-55mm lens plus cashback of £50.

Looking at the specs of both cameras, how much difference will this make for astrophotograpy ?

Which one do I go for ?

Thanks.

Having seen waht the 1000D is capable of on UKAI I would have no probs buying one for astro use...

The 14 bit v 12 bit would be the big one for me, the other things are pretty much irrelevant if you have the camera connected to a PC as both allow liveview images to be squirted to the PC screen over USB 2.0

The lighter weight construction isnt a bad thing if the camera is going to be hung on the back of a scope especially if you mount isn't that special...or you focuser isnt brill etc...

Billy...

The 14 bit v 12 bit would be the big one for me, the other things are pretty much irrelevant if you have the camera connected to a PC as both allow liveview images to be squirted to the PC screen over USB 2.0

sorry to hijack this thread,but could you explain live view and can it be done with my 300d and will i need a cable.........kev

I'd suggest getting your hands on both of them in shop and have a play with them. Assuming your also going to be wanting to use it for daylight use. Find out which one suits you best.

Kev, Liveview on both of these camera flips up the mirror, opens the shutter and uses the sensor to display what the camera sees. On the 450d, I use this and the 10x zoom on the display to align the mount and focus the scope. The 300d doesn't have this option. There's another option which is using tethered shooting, so the camera is connected to a PC, this provides with a high res image instead of a pokey tiny one, even the 3" display on the 450d is tiny compared to the full size image. Again though, I think the camera needs to be able to flip the mirror open the shutter and activate the sensor to display the data and I don't think the 300d can do this.

For information the 1000D body is currently priced at £244 from Amazon whereas the best price for the 450D body is £369 from 7dayshop. The reduction of £30 is on the 1000D kit only but the £50 can be obtained on the 450D body.

The best review on the cameras can be found on www.dpreview.com if that is any help.

Mark

Thank you for the replies, im edging towards a Canon 450D w/ IS 18-55 Lens Kit.

Instead of buying 2 or 3 memory cards, im thinking about buying a SDHC card of 4 or 8GB's, is this adequate enough for raw imaging ?

Thanks.

I use an 8Gb SDHC card as my primary and it's good for about 500 raw images. I also carry 3 x 2Gb cards as spares, but in RAW they only hold about 120 images. If you shoot RAW and JPG that will come down significantly. Be prepared with loads of hard drive space....

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update chaps - I finally bought my camera yesterday, a Canon 450D w/ IS 18-55 Lens Kit also an 8GB SDHC Extreme II Memory Card, I found it too hard to resist over the 1000D :laughing3:

Just need some clear sky now :mrgreen:

Archived