NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

EQMOD works but PhD2 doesn't (NEQ6) !! Argh!!

Craney

Frustrating day all round.  I'm left a bit confused why certain things are not happening... but maybe I'm just thick.

Background

Have a HEq5..   works fine with ST-4 guiding and PHD2. All good.   Since the Moon is disappearing I thought I would give my  NEq6 and the 10inch F4  a go at some DSO's.

Had no joy last night at all with ST-4 guiding with theNEQ6, using all the same gear from computer to leads to camera.   I suspect the Auto-guider connector on the mount has become  damaged in some way., it failed to get anywhere near calibration.....  not to worry, apparently there is another way to guide using PULSE-guiding and EQMOD.

Todays Work.  

Downloaded all the ASCOM and EQMOD stuff.    Managed to get the scope to slew in both axes and track the Sun etc....  excellent,  but then when loading up PHD2  into "Manual Guide" mode, to check that the mount is responding in a manner that would allow it to calibrate under the stars....it does not respond at all     (??!!)  So what's going on there then ?

How can it work with EQMOD and not with PHD2..... I thought they shared similar protocols and coding... ie allowing them to work together.

A bit of a head scratcher.  Maybe it's not the ST-4 port.

Any help appreciated ??    Go easy on me, I'm not that computer literate,  I just Press anywHere like a Dummy.

Sean.

What is starting EQmod ?  your planetarium software or something else ?  PHD2 and all other client software will re-use the EQMod service that is running, unless you've started in an isolated stand-alone mode.....

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

What is starting EQmod ?  your planetarium software or something else ?  PHD2 and all other client software will re-use the EQMod service that is running, unless you've started in an isolated stand-alone mode.....

@Craney this ^^^

Open PHD2 first and connect to mount, the EqMod window should then pop up. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

Ah..... good point.....    I'm  using the ASCOM Toolkit  icon to start EQMOD , to check the COM port and make sure the PC is talking to the mount..... ( i'm sure some on-line help guide tells you to do this.......)  

then I'm launching PHd2......

Do you think this is the cause ??

Sods law is that I've put the HEQ5 back on the pier because I assumed it might be a hardware issue with the NEQ6 and  rarest of rare things, a potential clear night beckons.

Well... I will get a imaging run going and have a tinker indoors.

I really hope it is as simple as that.

Cheers Guys....  I'll report back.

Sean.

yes, the toolkit is just for testing & 'locks' EQMod into a single use mode.....

Start PHD2, & if configured correctly for your mount, you should then be able to connect to it, then the EQMod window will open …..

Might be as simple as not having a big enough pulse size set in the PHD2 Manual Guide window. 

Try 5000, then you might see movement in the guidecam window. 

Don't forget to make several pushes to take up backlash, if moving north or south. 

Michael