NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Which finder/guider rings?

michaelmorris

I'm having to put together a new finder/guider set up for my imaging rig.  I've got a 9 x 50 finder and camera and will be getting the relevant adaptor for mounting the camera on the finder next month.  The last thing I will need is some tube rings to mount it in.

My previous set up used a very nice 2nd hand Televue mounting bracket, but at >£100 new this is way beyond my budget image.jpeg.564bea13ec10cc6a45c5d873bf10489e.jpeg

Ideas/recommendations please?

Thanks

My suggestion would be to drill and tap the standard finder bracket/holder, and have it held on by six screws in a similar fashion to the rings above.  It's a free solution and for me it works well.

Edited by tooth_dr

2 minutes ago, michaelmorris said:

I thought I would give it a try.  At under £12 it seems worth a punt.

I certainly hope it works well 👍 My concern would be flexure in that bracket which could lead to guiding problems. 

1 hour ago, tooth_dr said:

I certainly hope it works well 👍 My concern would be flexure in that bracket which could lead to guiding problems. 

Agreed.  The William Optics finder guider bracket sold by FLO is my back up.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/finders/william-optics-finder-bracket.html

The mega cheap Angeleyes finder bracket has arrived from China. First impressions are that it's a product in two halves.

What I mean by that it that the shoe and riser are nice and solid. No problems there. The rings are also solid with nice plastic-tipped adjustment screws. The thing that lets it down is the joint between each ring and the riser. 

The rings are not flattened at this point, so you have to tighten the bolt between them very tightly to make it solid.  I plan to file down a small flat spot on each ring to make this connection much more solid and straight.  I'll probably take the opportunity to replace the connection bolts with stainless steel Allen bolts as well.

In summary,  these rings are remarkably solid considering the sub £12 price tag and a little tweak here and there should make for an adequate finder/guider bracket at a fraction of the price of any of the alternatives.

IMG_20190831_123055114.jpg

IMG_20190831_123039741_HDR.jpg

• 9 months later...

Sorry to bring an aged thread back here. I just had one of these delivered (yesterday), I paid £14 delivered.. super value I have to say, and strangely I've popped a white 9x50 SW finder. 

I'm thinking about using a small tension spring on screws for the rings (if it allows). Still happy with it I have to say. Did you file down a flat?

Rob