Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Alt-Az Mount for TEC 140

JTEC

34 minutes ago, Doc said:

I used to have the Losmandy AZ8 mounted on a barlebach Planet tripod, it took the weight of a Skywatcher 120ED Esprit which is not a light scope by any means and I would imagine heavier then the 140mm TEC. I only sold it because I made my own clones of the TTS Panther and DiscMount. 

The AZ8 is very well machined and once balanced very smooth, the slow motion controls are very nice, even the degree scales work and are accurate.

The AZ8 looks rather nice with slo mo controls and setting circles. Would make a very nice retirement pressie for myself 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks very much all for your generous advice! 

I’ll go, for now, with the SkyTee - it’s received a lot of support, is available and relatively affordable, I already have some of the extra bits I’ll need and I like the idea of slo-mos. 👍🏻

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm a little late with this discussion. Two of my own mounts :

I purchased a Discmounts DM6 from the US when we were getting $1.70 / £   (2015 i think)

Manual alt-az only yet is designed to carry upto a 150mm refractor / 11" SCT class of scope.

Its excellent and i've fitted encoders / Nexus DSC to it. No slow motion controls though, but it doesn't really need it.

I wouldn't say it was easy grab / go, but its fairly straightforward to manage. It has a pier extension for a larger refractor as well.

I would say a Berlebach Planet is a minimum spec tripod for a Tec 140. Or a Losmandy FHD.

I used to own a WO 132 FLT which is a similar size / weight to a Tec 140 but used a Berlebach Uni with it. Borderline, but is ok for visual

I also purchased a TTS-Panther at the beginning of 2018, but then sold all of my refractors and Cats, and some other gear with a plan to save and purchase a new refractor,

a kind of retirement present and thats still where i'm at.  So i have the mounts but not the Tec 140 !!! 

14889938457_5725f32dcf.jpg  38104214655_b63a82023a.jpg

Edited by Tubby Bear
  • Like 1