NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Back Focus - Daystar Solar Scout ss60-ds

-Joe_

I've just got hold of one of these, and trying to get some images through it. Does anyone know if I need to set the camera at a certain back focus position?

I just get a grey featureless disc, and want to eliminate that question...

cheers

joe

Yes, its the 1600mm. Seems to be ok for getting in focus (although hard to judge with no detail, but i can move past the focus point no problem)

So next question was, as you say, the tuner - how critical is that? is it a case of working your way through 1 click at a time and eventually the details will pop out?

1 minute ago, Peter Drew said:

If you are using a monochrome camera, a grey featureless disc is pretty much all that is visible at the moment!. Check out the daily GONG  Solar images, you should be able to match them on a good day.    😀

Yeah, I realise I'm probably doing this at the worst time...

It sounds simplistic but I always aim for the sharpest edge [limb] to the disk first.
I do this before even hoping for any surface detail or proms in H-a.
The surface detail and proms might be slightly away from the sharp edge focus but at least it's a good staring point.

Proms might be at a slightly different tuning point to surface detail unless you are very lucky and the tuning points coincide.
I've recently found a larger monitor screen [than a typical laptop] is enormously helpful in focusing and seeing fine detail.

Practice all this while you have nothing much to see or capture. Do capture some videos and stills and process them in undying hope.
Develop a routine and you'll be ready and waiting when there really is something you don't want to miss so you can share your images!
My apologies if this all sounds very patronizing. I am a recent convert to H-a solar imaging so it is all still fresh for me too.

15 hours ago, Rusted said:

My apologies if this all sounds very patronizing. I am a recent convert to H-a solar imaging so it is all still fresh for me too.

No need, it's very useful to confirm what I'm doing as I start...