NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Accessorising my xt8 dob

strayring

Hi. So what do you think of my accessories mostly home made for my scope. Some for convenience like a handle on the ota and a crate platform to raise it so I don't strain my back, others to improve viewing from light polluted home base. 

Made a dust cover that converts to a padded carry bag.

Dew shield flocked rubberised outside with cut out  finger grip hole, also for the raci finder. RDF mounted on top of RACI.

Flocked opposite the focuser and 6" round the primary. Glued the flock fabric to magnetised vinyl so easy to remove.

Little fan running on a 9V battery,  they last several nights. 

Next project will be fitting a lazy susan bearing on the base.

Velcro fitted handle and sliding weight belt on the bottom end.

20190810_171456.jpg

20190810_171040.jpg

20190810_171236.jpg

20190810_171722.jpg

20190810_171640.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Accessorising my xt8 dob continues:

I have added the Lazy Susan bearing which came in the mail and it makes the world of difference to moving the scope easily, I'm enjoying this tweak very much.

Another new thing is adding a setting circle for azimuth coordinates. Using the Sky-safari app. for the coordinates, I am finding targets bang on, a much easier than star hopping hunting method that I've used up to now.

For altitude its been a guess mostly but  having the right azimuth setting I can search up and down on that bearing and find the target with a low power EP.

(I have meantime ordered a little digital inclinometer that has a magnetic base I can mount on the OTA).

The XT8 is a great midsize starter scope all the little add-ons just make it even more fun to use. 

Scope setting circle.jpg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, banjaxed said:

I would like to know as well please.  Where  did you source the azimuth setting circle?

I down loaded off the net, Google scope type and setting circle. Had it printed on one sheet (A2) and laminated at the local copy shop.

On ‎16‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 11:32, Raph-in-the-sky said:

You could also fit a Lacerta Micro Focuser 1:10 upgrade. This will not be free but it's not that expensive and works really well.

That's definitely a future plan, getting fine focus is one of my bug-bears. I had been looking into a Svbony helical focuser I saw on Ali express which is much cheaper, but I'm not sure that it will work the Orion XT8. I couldn't find any confirmed success reported on any of the forums.

An added problem here is import duty is charged on items over $100 US which pushes the price up considerably.

1 hour ago, strayring said:

That's definitely a future plan, getting fine focus is one of my bug-bears. I had been looking into a Svbony helical focuser I saw on Ali express which is much cheaper, but I'm not sure that it will work the Orion XT8. I couldn't find any confirmed success reported on any of the forums.

An added problem here is import duty is charged on items over $100 US which pushes the price up considerably.

I got mine second hand for 35GBP... I don't know how often you will find these second hand but the product is really solid so no problem buying used. 

Alternatively they sell it here (https://www.365astronomy.com/Lacerta-Dual-Speed-1-10-Microfocus-Upgrade-Kit-for-Skywatcher-Crayford-Focusers.html) for $88 US which should allow you not to pay the tax.

• Like 1