NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Ptolemaeus area

Mike JW

No doubt we have all looked at Ptolemaeus, Alphonsus and Arzachel many times but what intrigued me was to the north of Ptolemaeus lying between Herschel and Glyden is a long valley running slightly west of north. The more I looked at the area the more intrigued I became and so began the sketch. As usual I got carried away and kept sketching all sorts of detail, all over the area. So far I have been unable to find out any information about this valley. The terminator was fascinating – various shades of black???

Key features laid out at the eyepiece and then the sketch completed later. I have done two versions – my normal graphite pencil on white paper and then coloured pencils on black paper (need to develop this technique). On both I have used a white gel pen to enhance the white.

Mike

PS Looking at photos of the region this valley (Glyden valley) seems to be a very steep sided V-shaped valley, hence its very black shadow contrasting with the sunlit portion.  Tried to imagine walking along it - awe inspiring with steep sides towering over.........Also noted it is on the Lunar 100 list.

1490478435_Aug8.thumb.jpg.0cb4399f0a0b737681545448f6488632.jpg1036026387_Aug8v2.thumb.jpg.99edee9ce3b970ee6347622fbe116ab9.jpg

Edited by Mike JW
spelling mistake and more info added
  • Like 9