Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Observing every Globular Cluster in Ophiuchus in a single session

DirkSteele

Armed with only a 3" scope, but under a Bortle Class 2 sky (limiting magnitude of +7) on Benguerra Island in the Indian Ocean off the coast of Mozambique, I attempted to observe every globular in Ophiuchus, which is second only to Sagittarius in number of GCs, in a single session while on holiday in July.  Observing report is on the link below.  It is quite a long one so you might want your favourite beverage while you read whether I was successful or not.

http://alpha-lyrae.co.uk/2019/08/04/observing-every-globular-cluster-in-ophiuchus-in-a-single-session/

Three inch aperture is not that much, but when the zodiacal light is this bright only 80 minutes after sunset, you might have a chance....

1139333839_ZodiacalLightResize.jpg.9934f5ba16028ef581d589b531749169.jpg

Feedback always appreciated.

Edited by DirkSteele
Edit: one too many “s” in session. Whoops!
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Wow, that was an epic session and an epic read (although very enjoyable). I like the way you also found the time to enjoy the targets with different mags rather than just jumping from one to the other.  

It just goes to show you what can be done with a small scope (albeit a Tak) and amazing skies.

Great stuff!

Mark

• Like 2

Very enjoyable read. I love globulars. They look just stunning in my new 20 inch dob. I often finish a session looking at galaxies by looking at a glob...…….but maybe they are the cores of a small satellite galaxies from the past anyway? :)

Mark

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mark81 said:

I like the way you also found the time to enjoy the targets with different mags rather than just jumping from one to the other.  

Thanks.  I think the experience of star hopping for almost 30 years came into its own on this session, which gave me the time to actually stop and study each cluster rather than rushing to the next.  But if I am honest, this might be the most successful star hops I have done in a long time, with very few missed targets and random searches.  It was almost as if the stars aligned....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Trikeflyer said:

Sounds like you had an night to remember. Nice write up. Thanks for sharing. Just shows that skies are as important as big aperture scopes. Imagine having access to a 12inch Dob out there 😱

Steve 

Seriously! Can you imagine? I told the management to install a telescope. Their lodge in Namibia has a 12” LX200 so they do know about astronomy.  I did a lot while I was there. Probably have another three write ups to do based on my observing log.