Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

20 minutes of cloud dodging and M31

I noticed a few fairly large gaps in the clouds on Wednesday night so I got the 10x50s out for a quick look around. Starting with Jupiter, I seem to have got into the habit of checking focus with that one but it was just in the area of a large orange street light!! Moved to Saturn, just visible past a tree but a nice pale yellow colour and slightly oval shaped. From there I got on the sunbed for a scan around Cygnus but visibility wasn't great due to high cloud....

The night before I spotted the w shape of Cassiopeia clearing the line of houses, went from Shedar to Mirach, both a lovely orange colour, only to find a band of cloud right between them. This time though, the cloud was across Mirach so I scanned up and saw the next star up which I now know to be Mu Andromedae. Still clear, then just a faint roundish patch of light. Almost missed it.... can't be... M31, my first view of another galaxy!! It did look a bit like a torch being shone through a heavy dark sheet, and I've read enough on here not to expect to see some bright spirally thing 😆

After 5 minutes of staring almost in disbelief, I put Mu Andromedae right at the bottom of the FOV. This patch of light was just past half way up and a touch off to the left. A quick check on Sky Safari proved it to me. 

Light from another galaxy 2.5 million light years away.... fantastic!! 

Screenshot_20190731-234502_SkySafari 6 Plus.jpg

• Like 5

It's quite amazing when you think about it isn't it?  Get yourself under a dark sky with good dark adaptation. and it will look larger in the binos as you see more of the fainter spiral arms, although you won't see spirals obviously.

Nice one :) 

• Like 1

Mind blown - I was that shot away I didn't even think to fetch the 15x70s for (hopefully) a better look.

Being new to this I've not seen proper darkness yet. I can honestly say that this is the first winter I've actually looked forward to.

Andy

• Like 1

Nice one!  I always check out M31 when I have the bins out.  When Cassiopeia is in a good position for you, there are some nice clusters in there to check out...and then of course Auriga will be well placed too.  There's always something very satisfying about a quick session with binoculars.

Mark

• Like 1

Clear patches permitting it's on my list. 

Got out again last night but tried out the Skymasters - still very happy with that purchase. M31 didn't give up any more real detail but appeared as a more oval patch of light than through the 10x50s.

While scanning around from my sunbed last night, I did stumble across the Coathanger. Most enjoyable. If I get out tonight with favourable skies I'll try the bins mounted.

Andy

Edited by Dark Vader