NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Imaging with DSLR directly attached to HEQ5

smr

Hi guys,

Next week I'll be on Holiday at my family caravan on the Norfolk coast where it's Bortle 4/3 skies, I can see the milky way above there so hopefully it'll be clear skies. I've been wondering how to attach my DSLR to my HEQ5 Pro and have just come up with a solution so I thought it might be helpful to others wondering how to do this.

I won't be able to guide, but I'd have thought I won't need to with a 24mm or 50mm lens on the HEQ5 Pro? Can anyone confirm this?

Anyway here's the simple solution, just use your tripod head quick release plate clamped into the mount on the HEQ5...

Incidentally I've moved from one end of my village to the other (from nearer the nearest city to further away from the city and towards more rural, only a 2 minute drive but it's the difference between Bortle 6 and what I now have as a Bortle 5 sky)... wouldn't have thought moving 2 mins away would make a difference on the bortle scale!

67905853_10156521944097644_2832992271329132544_o.thumb.jpg.c4107b17681abc8e82186a5a1e422858.jpg

37 minutes ago, smr said:

I won't be able to guide, but I'd have thought I won't need to with a 24mm or 50mm lens on the HEQ5 Pro? Can anyone confirm this?

I often use mine with a 135mm lens and with good polar alignment i can get consistent three to five minutes exposures with no guiding,.   

I use my camera attached to a dovetail and a knob to secure it. 

Dont have the HEQ5 but with my EQ3 fitted with a dovetail and ball head can get 3 mins unguided with short fl camera lenses. The addition of the ball head allows for better framing of an object..

Alan

Let's see yourl pics. when you have got some.  Wide field imaging is a popular activity for many SGL members, and there is a directory in which to place them under the Imaging label.

Ron. Mi

Edited by barkis