Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M16 The Eagle in NB

My second narrowband image.

This time I've tried removing the stars before processing the colour, then adding the stars back in RGB at the end.

Feedback/comments for improvements welcome as always.

John

Eagle_Colour_Flattened_Cropped.jpg

• Like 7

How much data are we looking at here? The processing looks sound to me. A tad high in contrast and some - like me - try hard to tune the green down and try to hide purple star halos, but there's no need to do that. This looks very HST authentic.

/Jessun

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Jessun said:

How much data are we looking at here? The processing looks sound to me. A tad high in contrast and some - like me - try hard to tune the green down and try to hide purple star halos, but there's no need to do that. This looks very HST authentic.

/Jessun

Thanks.

Imaging done over four nights last week.

Ha = (44 x 200s bin 1x1) + (138 x 90s bin 1x1)

OIII = (22 x 200s bin 1x1) + (38 x 150s bin 2x2)

SII = (41 x 200s bin 1x1) + (40 x 150s bin 2x2)

RGB for stars = (70 x 7s bin 1x1) for each filter.

Darks, Flats & Dark Flats = 20 x for each subset.

A subset of the Ha was used for luminance - I selected all the frames that scored above 1600 in DSS.

Camera = ASI1600mm-Pro cooled to -10C.

John

The nebula has come out beautifully, but to my taste the starfield is a little sparse and weak. I like the fact that the Eagle is embedded in stars from the cluster.

But I guess it is an artistic choice to make, and you have certainly pulled the nebula clear of the surrounding stars.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jessun said:

A tad high in contrast

I've just looked at the image on my phone and it does looks way too high in contrast, whereas on my laptop it looks fine.  I'll have a look at checking screen calibration.

John

1 hour ago, old_eyes said:

to my taste the starfield is a little sparse and weak.

I was undecided about that myself.  Perhaps I need to expose for longer with the RGB stars to bring out the fainter ones.

John

40 minutes ago, Starwiz said:

I've just looked at the image on my phone and it does looks way too high in contrast, whereas on my laptop it looks fine.  I'll have a look at checking screen calibration.

John

I find my phone screen gives a better representation of my processed images. Sometimes I'll put the jpeg on my phone and go back to processing if I think I can improve.

Nice Eagle btw 👍

Edited by david_taurus83
  • Like 1