Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Upgrading a dob base to go to?

Hi

I was just wondering is there a way to buy a dob base separately that has go to? As i would like to buy one for my 200p is there anywhere that i could find one or is it not possible 

Thanks 

Skywatcher show an upgrade kit on their web site - but without details. I enquired of FLO. They had not seen the product and didn't think it had ever been offered in Europe.

I think your best option is going to be to look out for a goto model on sale 2nd hand and recover some of the cost by selling on your push model.

Sorry I can't offer anything better. David.

• Like 2

I'm in the same position. I've just bopught a Skywatcher Skyliner 200p OTA off ebay, it was/is brand new in packaging. I got a bargain. I'm now looking for a cheap used Dobsonian base or if my cash will stretch, an equatorial mount. They're super expensive though, because they need to be able to handle huge OTA, so i'm not sure. Maybe i'll get lucky twice and get another bargain on ebay ? lol. As a side note, there's lots of excellent YouTube vids showing you how to build your own Dobsonian Mount. It's really simple stuff, just cutting pieces of wood into squares, a couple circular, and some drilling of holes etc. I reckonon a teenager would be able to do it. I might do it myself, if i can't find a mount/base cheap online. 

Hi, doing something similar  DIY  currently so I need/have: 

• OnStep GoTo software- https://groups.io/g/onstep/wiki/home - free
  • Arduino Mega + RTC+ BT or similar device from OnStep wiki - 15-30€
  • 2x Nema 17 Stepper Motor with planetary gearbox 25-50€+ per piece, depending on quality - 1 2
  • Nema 17 brackets - 10 €
  • Stepper drivers - 10€
  • Some power suply or battery + powerbank for arduino - 30€
  • Pulleys and GT2 belts(or similar) - 15€
  • 3D printed gear wheels for better transmition(200 GT2 teeth for OTA/ALT, 500 GT2 for Base/AZ) - 30€

OnStep seems pretty good.

Edited by Vulisha

I am not a fan of Alt/Az goto mounts if the need is just for celestial navigation. Stellarium gives you Alt/Az coordinates so all you need is find the angles of the scope. In the picture attached I used online software Blocklayer to print out a protractor (big ones are segmented so all you need is an A4 printer) and for Altitude Floureon (look up on E..y) do an angle finder with an illuminated display for about £14.

I just level the base, set the scope at an angle of 52 degrees, centre the pole star in the eyepiece, zero the protractor and you are ready to go. If the pole star is not visible then set the angle for Vega or whatever.

Under the Az pointer is a low power red led (black box)

The green display is very bright at night so add some red plastic over the display to keep your night vision

20190722_202145.jpg

s-l200.jpg

Edited by Tomatobro
pics attached (2)
  • Like 2

It does the same as my method, i.e. you have to push the scope in Altitude and Azimuth to the target. The main benefit seems to be that it gives you feedback via a smartphone display as to its pointing position. I wonder if its been reviewed on Youtube?

There is a video on Youtube which although in German has English subtitles. As I thought it needs a bit of setting up and once working gives feedback via Bluetooth to a smartphone App. The App shows where it's told the encoders are pointing.

There seems to be a bit of confusion about the size of the Newt the mount will take as I think different sites say 6 inch and 8 inch max.

I guess that if I did not have the skills to make a Dob base then I would consider it as an alternative.

I will find a picture of a larger version of my setup built by a club member and attach it to this reply

The scope is an 8 inch. The pointer for the Azimuth ring has still to be added.

Also in the first picture just below the Telrad the Altitude finder can be seen. Its magnetic base works well with the steel tube

20190719_154647.jpg

20190719_154703.jpg

Edited by Tomatobro
pics added plus info
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Tomatobro said:

There is a video on Youtube which although in German has English subtitles. As I thought it needs a bit of setting up and once working gives feedback via Bluetooth to a smartphone App. The App shows where it's told the encoders are pointing.

There seems to be a bit of confusion about the size of the Newt the mount will take as I think different sites say 6 inch and 8 inch max.

I guess that if I did not have the skills to make a Dob base then I would consider it as an alternative.

I will find a picture of a larger version of my setup built by a club member and attach it to this reply

Hi thanks for the reply on the specifications it says the max weight is 12kg not sure how much the 200p weighs and the website I linked also says 8 inch max

While looking for something for a different project I found that the Allendale Group do a rotary shaft encoder and display for £32. A shame its not backlit but at that price it has to be a steal. There is a set to zero button so its ideal for the Az position. Its listed as:-

Rotary angle encoder with a remote LCD display with a resolution of 0.1 degrees.