Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Focusing problems with new telescope

Hi, can anyone give me advice about my telescope I brought for £20. Yes I knew there could be a problem when brought it but was desperate to fulfill a desire to start stargazin. It’s a reflector so only has a few parts but I can’t get it to focus except about 3-5 meters away which is always crystal clear. I can’t see out of open window and no matter what I try and set I can always see the window frame crystal clear.. could I have been given the wrong eye pieces or is there something missing. Can anyone help me with this. Many thanks 

• Cornelius Varley changed the title to Focusing problems with new telescope

Hi and thanks. Does these pictures help at all. I know the telescope could need collimating better, but what ever I adjust I can see a thunder bug on the window but nothing further. This can’t be right, can it?

AEC8A42E-F990-40FA-A92C-442F3946AFCB.jpeg

57FE6C51-53B1-4344-B881-D39E16EBED0C.jpeg

72301B14-7CDB-44ED-A373-F4CD586C9276.jpeg

Should have something like the compound lens shown at the bottom of the focuser tube

This enables a 1400 mm Focal Length optical arrangement to be shoe-horned into a much shorter tube:

bird-jones.png

These scopes are sold under many brand names,  Meade, Bresser etc

Michael

1 hour ago, Rich486 said:

Ahh no it’s not. You’re a super star! That’s good news except how do I find one of those? 

Your best bet is to find the same second hand / scrap scope with broken primary or damaged tube and salvage corrector.

thanks for advice from everyone. Yes it’s not as easy as I thought to find a lens. It was always suspect at £20 but I am still hoping to get it to work. It’s an old telescope now. Not found on eBay or amazon as yet. Won’t be seeing any stars just yet

58 minutes ago, Rich486 said:

thanks for advice from everyone. Yes it’s not as easy as I thought to find a lens. It was always suspect at £20 but I am still hoping to get it to work. It’s an old telescope now. Not found on eBay or amazon as yet. Won’t be seeing any stars just yet

Although you probably won't be able to find a replacement corrector lens for your telescope, you do have a mount and an eyepiece or two that you can reuse with another small telescope. Check out Astroboot which usually have a few small and cheap telescopes that will fit your mount.