NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jupiter with webcam iLook1321 v2

gajjer

I thought I'd give Jupiter a go last night. Earlier in the week I knocked something together with a webcam I had in my junk box. The webcam is a iLook1321 v2 with the lens removed mounted in a new box to fit my Skywatcher 150mm Newt.

I was using Sharpcap, which I have never used for this purpose, and only have a basic knowledge of.

So, the problem was that I couldn't reduce the exposure enough to get a decent capture. All I could get was a white disc. At some point a message flashed up, which I didn't quite catch, with words to the effect that the camera didn't support something like - changing frame rate - that may be wrong - but something that would effect exposure.

Help would be appreciated. Is it possible that with some cameras Sharpcap does not have full control?

If the camera is no good, what cheep webcam should I be looking at <£50. It's not something I will be doing much of.

cheers

gaj

I seem to remember using a piece of software called 'Craterlet' for my planet imaging. The stacked in registax (its been a while though). Its freeware, why not give that a go?.  Rob

I think SharpCap should offer you most of the available camera controls assuming the driver actually exposes them.  If the camera is fairly basic then it may not allow some features to be changed by the user.

James