NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Mirror clips

mdstuart

2 minutes ago, mdstuart said:

Where can I get some or what can I use as a substitute?

Mark, if it were me I would get some mild steel "flat bar" put it in a vise and hammer it over- how thick is the bracket? I quick drill and tap and done or any machine shop can do it.

This place in the states has a mind boggling array of products

https://www.mcmaster.com/corner-brackets

On 16/07/2019 at 14:22, mdstuart said:

I will have to look up a local supplier of mild steel and find someone who can bend it for me.

How did you make out Mark?

I just got thinking that @faulksy is pretty dang handy and might be able to make them if your stuck. Mike is a VG fabricator...

• Like 1

An amazing gentleman called Phil has made me some clips so I am now sorted thank you.

I love this community where everyone supports each other.

I will post a pic on here when I have fitted them. 😀

Mark

• Like 2

On 16/07/2019 at 22:40, CraigT82 said:

Also aluminium plate too, which will be easier to bend if you go that route

If not correctly prepared, aluminium will crack when bent. Especially thicker pieces.
You need to heat aluminium up to a certain temp, (not to hot, and there's a simple trick to do just that), then cool it very rapidly in water to make it softer. I know many of you will think hey..! that is what I used to do with metal to make it hard and brittle, that is correct. But this procedure done with alu will do just the opposite compared to metal.

13 hours ago, jetstream said:

How did you make out Mark?

I just got thinking that @faulksy is pretty dang handy and might be able to make them if your stuck. Mike is a VG fabricator...

thank you gerry

hi mark, i made my actual clips out of acetal, engineering plastic just done the same on my obsession

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chriske said:

If not correctly prepared, aluminium will crack when bent. Especially thicker pieces.
You need to heat aluminium up to a certain temp, (not to hot, and there's a simple trick to do just that), then cool it very rapidly in water to make it softer. I know many of you will think hey..! that is what I used to do with metal to make it hard and brittle, that is correct. But this procedure done with alu will do just the opposite compared to metal.

its called, normalising

you rub soap on it. heat it with a flame untill it goes brown then shape

• Like 1

2 hours ago, faulksy said:

you rub soap on it. heat it with a flame untill it goes brown then shape

indeed...
But after the soap gets dark brown I always put it immediately in cold water. Doing so the alu stay soft and manageable.

• Like 1