NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Scope / pc connectivity

Hi, I currently have an astrophotography rig comprising a Skywatcher ED80 with a Zwo Asi1600mmPro camera. Guide scope with Altair gpcam130c all mounted on an HEQ5Pro Mount. This is all controlled remotely via a usb2.0 powered hub and 15m usb cable to my pc in the house.
I am planning an observatory but this will be approximately 25m from my Pc in the house.
As more and more kit is now usb3.0 I would like to control my pc, still from the house but if I were to use a powered usb3 cable and hub there would be, effectively, 6 hubs in the chain and Windows will only allow 5 maximum. 
Does anyone out there have a setup similar to this with an observatory with a remote pc? I am considering usb to Ethernet/Ethernet to usb, has anyone tried this and does it work?
Any suggestions for using my pc in the house to control the rig in the observatory, down the garden would be very much appreciated.

I run my 1600mm pro via a 20 meter USB3 cable. It does work very well but I do sometimes have issues with it. I also only run the camera on it, all other devices bar the filterwheel go on other usb2 leads. My understanding is that although USB3 is faster it is less reliable than USB2 when longer cables are involved. If you're building an observatory I'd place a PC in the observatory and run a network cable out so you can remote desktop on the PC in the observatory rather than running usb cables into the house. That way you keep your USB length short and don't need lots of hubs and you're using an ethernet cable connection designed for long distance. I only use a long USB3 cable because it's running a permanent outdoor mount with waterproof cover so can't put a PC out with it.  Will be interested in other views.

You could try a USB to CAT5 extender. Works up to 50m. I have a Startech one. Its 4 USB2 ports on a hub one end and you run your ethernet cable to a receiver hub the other and connect to your PC via USB. Works very well. When I first got my 1600mm I had download issues and I thought it was using a USB3 camera in a USB2 hub. It turns out it was my old USB2 laptop. Since upgrading to a new USB3 laptop it's been great. Images take a second to download from the 1600mm. I use an ASI1600MM, ASI EFW connected to the 1600, AZEQ6 with Eqmod cable, ASI178MC for guiding, also USB3, and a DSD autofocuser.  Absolutely no issues via the Startech hub, as long as it's to my USB3 laptop.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, david_taurus83 said:

You could try a USB to CAT5 extender. Works up to 50m. I have a Startech one. Its 4 USB2 ports on a hub one end and you run your ethernet cable to a receiver hub the other and connect to your PC via USB. Works very well. When I first got my 1600mm I had download issues and I thought it was using a USB3 camera in a USB2 hub. It turns out it was my old USB2 laptop. Since upgrading to a new USB3 laptop it's been great. Images take a second to download from the 1600mm. I use an ASI1600MM, ASI EFW connected to the 1600, AZEQ6 with Eqmod cable, ASI178MC for guiding, also USB3, and a DSD autofocuser.  Absolutely no issues via the Startech hub, as long as it's to my USB3 laptop.

Hi David, is this the kit you mention? Do both units need power as they only seem to supply 1 psu?

81MB+u2I5bL._SL1500_.jpg